Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InitialDCraze
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,589
Message 1 of 10

IBM ThinkPad T43: Rescue and Recovery Issue

Hello there,

I have an IBM ThinkPad T43. The Rescue and Recovery program opens every time I power on my laptop after a failed attempt to restore my laptop to the factory settings. I can't even login to Windows because the Rescue and Recovery program opens up immediately after I turn on the power. I tried restoring my system to factory settings using the program and the Product Recovery Disc I purchased from Lenovo, in hopes to resolve the issue, but every time I'm prompt "IBM failed to restore your system".

How do I stop Rescue and Recovery from opening and resume with normal startup into Windows? What should I do so that I am able to restore my laptop to factory settings?

Please help if you have any suggestions. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

PoPSiCLe
Greps Everything
Views: 6,583
Message 2 of 10

Re: IBM ThinkPad T43: Rescue and Recovery Issue

Well, my assumption is that since you've tried running the restore (ie, reset the computer to the factory settings), you don't have a Windows-install to actually boot into anymore. Since the restore failed, you have a half-installed system, and the only way to get it back to booting normally again would be to reinstall the system - either by using the factory restore, or a stand-alone Windows install-CD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
Retired Guru
Views: 6,576
Message 3 of 10

InitialDCraze wrote: I tried restoring my system to factory settings using the program and the Product Recovery Disc I purchased from Lenovo

but the start up disc in the cd drive then turn on the laptop follow the prompts (changing the cd's when prompted )
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70803

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,570
Message 4 of 10

Try wiping out the partition data before recovering from CDs

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
InitialDCraze
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,559
Message 5 of 10

How do I go about wiping out the partition data?

Retired Guru
Views: 6,555
Message 6 of 10

you can use this it pc doc bootable disc http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-56222 its been a long time since I've used it but I think at the top right there is a tab that says utilities or something like that you can wipe the HDD from there also I always used the quick option worked for me

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Highlighted
haideruet
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,508
Message 7 of 10

Yes , it is easy to format the pre-desktop area , Just go to BIOS->make the CD rom your first preffered drive, 

after booting from CD follow instructions untill partition options comes. Then Delete each partition to make them merge. and again repeat to make the partitions of your own.

Either Most interesting or most hatred topic improves discussion power.
InitialDCraze
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,458
Message 8 of 10

I did a full HDD wipe using PC-Doctor from a bootable CD, and tried restoring the laptop with the Product Recovery CDs. BUT I got the same message... "IBM Product Recovery failed to restore your system." Ugh! Smiley Sad

I choose the "Restore your system to factory default settings." I insert the correct discs when I am prompted to. When the laptop is done copying all the data from the CDs, it reboots itself. Then it brings me back to the Rescue and Recovery menu with a window that says, "Precoessing..." Then "BAM!" that message pops up and the whole process is aborted...

I'm ready to just trash this thing..................

InitialDCraze
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,436
Message 9 of 10

Thank you to everyone who put in their inputs and suggestions to my issue regarding my laptop! My laptop is running fine now (except the fact that the LCD screen is out).

boolabonga
What's DOS?
Views: 5,295
Message 10 of 10

I have a Z60M and am having same issue with Rescue and Recovery, getting "Product Recovery failed to restore your system".  Can you tell me what you did yo resolve your issue?  Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors