Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,330
Message 1 of 16

Installing New Hard Drive in T43P - Rescue and Recovery Problems - T 43P, T43 P

My T43P just had it's hard drive fail so I got a new Fujitsu 120GB MHV2120AH (per recommendation by other lenovo community members) I also got the 8 Disk IBM Recovery CD set.

Here is the problem. I take out the old hard drive and install the new one.

• I change the start-up sequence to run the CD-ROM first.
  • I get to the main rescue and recovery screen and choose "restore your system" then "restore my hard drive to the original factory state"
  • I then choose "I do not want to save any file" since there are no files to save as it is a new hard drive.
  • It then tells me that this will reformat my entire hard disk and do I want to continue? (YES)
  • It this prompts again that this is intended for systems that are completely unrecoverable and do it still want to continue? (YES)
  • Then I'm prompted to accept "terms and conditions" (I ACCEPT)
  • HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES - A new screen comes up that says "processing please wait..." Then a new screen pops up saying "AN INTERNAL ERROR HAS CAUSED THIS PROCESS TO FAIL."

So my question is how do I get this new hard drive up and running because I have no idea how to install it other than putting the new hard drive in and changing the start-up order in BIOS to run the CD-ROM first with the rescue and recovery CD first......

Thanks in advance for any help

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,312
Message 2 of 16

Re: Installing New Hard Drive in T43P - Rescue and Recovery Problems - T 43P, T43 P

I can think of four things which could cause this;  memory corruption, defective hdd, defective recovery disc and memory protection.

The fourth should be worth checking first; this a a BIOS setting which when enabled "can prevent virus/worm attacks that create memory buffer overflows by running code where ony data is allowed.   ...  reset to disabled if your required applications cannot run."  This setting can be found in the BIOS Security menu. The default setting should be disabled.

To check the disc, burn a copy using another system; if it can't copy it - you're wiser, if you can - try using the copy.

Memory can be checked using memtest86 and the hard drive using SeaTools.

Hope this helps

edit; grammar

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,303
Message 3 of 16

Re: Installing New Hard Drive in T43P - Rescue and Recovery Problems - T 43P, T43 P

I have also tried to re-run the recovery disk on my old hard drive that I know is broken in the same fashion and I end up with the same result. Now something I just noticed to consider that when I look for the hard drive under bios I do not see it named, I only see "IDE HDD0:" ? So I do not know if there is another problem because the harddrive is brand new and the disks are originals from lenovo........

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,302
Message 4 of 16

Number five; did you move the insignificant looking metal caddy from the old drive onto the new drive? It needs to be there, definitely not insignificant.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,301
Message 5 of 16

Yes, I unscrewed the metal cover from the old drive and reattached it to the new one............

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,299
Message 6 of 16

Do you see a + next to HDD0 in bios? If you don't the drive isn't being recognised for whatever reason. If you do you can highlight it and press enter, this will then expand the menu and name your drive.

If you can see the drive, I'm begining to suspect the recovery disc.

edit; typo

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,295
Message 7 of 16

No, It shows up "IDE HDD0:"   There is no + next to it........

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,288
Message 8 of 16

This being the case what do you think I should do?

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,264
Message 9 of 16

I've just had a look in the BIOS of my trusty T43. The information above about there being a + next to HDD0 was incorrect. It should name the drive immediately next to the entry.

It seems the drive is not being recognised, maybe not connected properly?  With your old drive, had you set the Master HDD password? If you did you should remove it - (a bit of a long shot, but worth asking - just in case)

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

csr0725
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,215
Message 10 of 16

I double checked to make sure no pins were bent and that it was in properly. Also, I never set a master password. Another member  said "If everything looks OK, and your old drive doesn't show in BIOS either, you have a defective IDE controller, which would call for a motherboard replacement"

Do you think this is a possibility too?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors