cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlaprise
Punch Card
Views: 25,288
Message 1 of 7

Intel Turbo Memory on T61 and Windows XP Drivers?

Hi,

I understand that XP does not support Intel Turbo Memory. I bought a T61 w/ XP and Turbo Memory expecting to eventually need to migrate to Vista. In the meantime, would it be too much to ask for the good people at Lenovo to come up with an XP driver for Turbo Memory?

thanks!
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 25,284
Message 2 of 7

Re: Intel Turbo Memory on T61 and Windows XP Drivers?

turbo memory is a feature that only works with vista.   there is nothing lenovo can do.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 25,284
Message 3 of 7

Well, TurboMemory (TM) is more Intel's child and Microsoft in turn embedded some more or less well working support for TM into their Vista OS. So I highly doubt that it is Lenovo's task/part at all to offer some TM support for Windows XP here, since that would be without doubt more Microsofts part. Microsoft knows the deep internals of their XP OS much better and also have the much better API driver knowledge here for such support.

In the meantime you may look after some third party tools like eBoostr or the like, though I'am not sure they support TM cards directly, since eBoostr lists only the following requirements...

• Windows XP (32 and 64 bit support), Windows 2000, Windows 2003
  • USB 2.0 port version or memory card reader
  • Flash drive or memory card with at least 2.5 MB/sec random read speed

...but you can download a trial version in order to give that a try.  - Maybe I should add, that I never used or tested that above eBoostr software and thus can't tell you if it supports TM cards or will work in a pleasing manner at all.

Message Edited by vkyr on 03-12-2008 05:02 PM

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

jlaprise
Punch Card
Views: 25,275
Message 4 of 7

Well, TurboMemory (TM) is more Intel's child and Microsoft in turn embedded some more or less well working support for TM into their Vista OS. So I highly doubt that it is Lenovo's task/part at all to offer some TM support for Windows XP here, since that would be without doubt more Microsofts part.

Well, that apparently is news to both Intel and Microsoft. Support forums at those companies both defer to the manufacturer (Lenovo) citing unique manufacturer architecture (Intel) or manufacturer responsibility for driver production (Microsoft). So it appears that Microsoft is passing the responsibility to Intel based on the rule that hardware manufacturers are responsible for drivers and Intel is passing it to Lenovo because Intel asserts that PC manufacturers are responsible for the drivers for their systems.

Comments?
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 25,266
Message 5 of 7

you're fighting an uphill battle.   no one cares about developing XP anymore and even if they did, turbomemory would still suck just like it does in vista.   there are thousands of posts in forums with complaints about poor performance and/or lockups with turbomemory enabled.   even if you got it working with XP you'd be likely to stop using it for the same reasons as vista users.

regarding the drivers, they are created and provided by intel.   lenovo does not create drivers -- they only test them with their hardware and tweak them if/when necessary.

if you want a faster system and absolutely have to use XP then install 3GB total physical memory and be happy with it.   i have yet to see a single official test where turbomemory made a measurable increase in performance on systems with 2GB+ system memory.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 25,239
Message 6 of 7

@jlaprise wrote:
...Support forums at those companies both defer to the manufacturer (Lenovo) citing unique manufacturer architecture (Intel) or manufacturer responsibility for driver production (Microsoft). So it appears that Microsoft is passing the responsibility to Intel based on the rule that hardware manufacturers are responsible for drivers and Intel is passing it to Lenovo because Intel asserts that PC manufacturers are responsible for the drivers for their systems.

First of all Microsoft Windows XP doesn't have any build-in caching technique or does support one on it's own, like Vista's ReadyBoost or ReadyDrive etc. So it's questionable what a driver for Turbo Memory on it's own should then offer here at all, if it doesn't also come along with it's own OS oriented smart caching mechanism software.

I fully agree with Erik here and also still have yet to see a single official test where Turbo Memory made any measurable increase in performance, even Intel of course always claims:

Intel claims...
A wide spectrum of benefits
  • Reduce boot time. Faster access to boot-up files lets the system start up more quickly.
  • Improve application responsiveness. Data coming from Intel Turbo memory instead of the hard drive increases access speed.
  • Accelerate application loading. Fast access by the processor to information needed to launch applications cuts lag time.
  • Enhance Windows Vista. Support for Windows Vista performance features like ReadyBoost*, ReadyDrive*, and SuperFetch* helps you take better advantage of the operating system.
  • Save energy. Pre-storing information reduces hard-disk spin time, which saves power.

When looking over some respected hardware technical related sites, like AnandTech or the popular and famous german c't magazine (here an online version of that article) etc., then it's pretty questionable of what value TurboMemory is actually at all.

IMO people do better spend the saved money for more RAM in order to increese speed or should buy a more useful fast external USB memory stick, than any of those internal  NAND-flash cards.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

onix
SCSI Port
Views: 24,873
Message 7 of 7

There is also no option with Linux for Turbo Memory.  Now that the prices are pretty low for the TM, sub $30, I might just get it gambling that it could be made to work on XP64 or Linux at a later date:

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel%C2%AE_Turbo_Memory_hard_drive_cache

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors