12-19-2011 03:28 PM
i recently performed a clean windows 7 install on a t61p. all went well until i started adding the lenovo drivers one at a time with reboots after each successful install. after installing the intel turbo memory driver (188.8.131.522-184.108.40.2062), i started recieving a number of errors.
first, the windows update program was no longer able to run.
second, there were many duplications of this error occurring in the event viewer:
Source: CAPI2, Event ID: 257
The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was: -583.
is there a fix for this problem?
12-19-2011 05:29 PM
12-20-2011 11:26 PM
thanks for the quick response. unfortunately, i do not have another turbo memory module to test, and there is an intel test out there, but it only works in DOS. i will have to find a dos cdrom formatter if i am going to try this verification procedure.
i am assuming the module is still good, because i was using it with Vista Ultimate 32-bit a few weeks ago before i started the Win7 Pro 64-bit upgrade journey.
12-21-2011 12:05 AM - edited 12-21-2011 12:14 AM
Edit: Before you look at that, update the drivers for your Intel rapid storage drivers. That has reported causing this event.
Try replacing your system catalog database as microsoft recommends. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363941(WS.10).aspx
12-21-2011 12:31 AM
the turbo drivers i tried were the latest listed under "memory" on the lenovo web site. i also tried the win7 drivers offered during the win7 install. they are a down revision to the lenovo drivers, but both options failed with the same problems.
i did see the microsoft link and tried renaming the catroot2 directory. same problem. a bad side effect i found out the hard way is a loss of windows update history. i will need to find a fix to this new problem as well.
12-21-2011 12:38 AM
12-21-2011 04:29 PM
12-21-2011 06:06 PM
if i am not mistaken, the sata drivers are the drivers included in the turbo memory/matrix storage manager package and are the drivers i am having trouble with. could be very wrong here.
the latest lenovo drivers under "chipset" have also been installed, although i have no idea how to verify this, as the readme does not explain how to verify the version installed.
on the new drive, i did upgrade the original hitachi 200MB drive with the seagate 750GB. i have no info on whether this is a problem even though win7 seems to work well otherwise. which leads me to ask, under the storage readme, it says the following:
"- It is not recommended to use Intel Turbo Memory in a system with a SSD drive. It would be ideal to remove the Intel Turbo Memory module from the system, if SSD drive is used. Refer the hardware maintenance manual. Or set to disable Intel Turbo Memory as follows."
although i am not using an SSD, and i am having issues with the turbo memory, and i might as well remove it from the system. (there is an exclaimation on in the device manager. both win7 and system update v4 both want me to install the failing turbo memory drivers.)
does anyone know how to remove the turbo memory module? the maintenance manual does not show where it is in the system.
12-22-2011 01:21 AM
Removing it is very easy. Remove the wristrest/palmrest, and keyboard, then look on the left side of the laptop, just above the wristrest location, but under the heatsink and you'll see the turbomemory miniPCIe card. There are two screws to remove and that end will lift up and the card will slide out.
12-23-2011 01:58 PM
thanks for the info on the turbo memory card. i found it and removed it. no more device manager notifications.
googling this problem produces more entries on the Dell and HP sites where customers had similiar issues with their intel turbo memory driver using win7 pro 64-bit. this link says that HP fixed their problem with certain intel based systems.
the hp driver version is 220.127.116.111 (4/30/2010) and seems newer than the lenovo versions available on the lenovo drivers & downloads site.