cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usphilos
Punch Card
Views: 2,961
Message 1 of 10

Intel turbo memory (matrix storage manager) causes errors in clean Windows 7 install

hello,

i recently performed a clean windows 7 install on a t61p.  all went well until i started adding the lenovo drivers one at a time with reboots after each successful install.  after installing the intel turbo memory driver (1.10.1.1002-8.9.2.1002), i started recieving a number of errors. 

first, the windows update program was no longer able to run.

second, there were many duplications of this error occurring in the event viewer:

Source: CAPI2, Event ID: 257

The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was: -583.

is there a fix for this problem?

Views: 2,946
Message 2 of 10

Re: Intel turbo memory (matrix storage manager) causes errors in clean Windows 7 install

If you have another turbo memory module, try substituting them. It might be a bad one. This happened to a friend on a couple systems. I'm not sure if the error was the same or not. I have turbo ram in both of my T61/T61p and have no problems, but I'm going to remove it now that I have SSD drives. You don't want to use these with SSD. ps. I'd check Intel support, see if they have an app to test the modules.
ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
usphilos
Punch Card
Views: 2,930
Message 3 of 10

Re: Intel turbo memory (matrix storage manager) causes errors in clean Windows 7 install

thanks for the quick response.  unfortunately, i do not have another turbo memory module to test, and there is an intel test out there, but it only works in DOS.  i will have to find a dos cdrom formatter if i am going to try this verification procedure.

i am assuming the module is still good, because i was using it with Vista Ultimate 32-bit a few weeks ago before i started the Win7 Pro 64-bit upgrade journey.

Views: 2,926
Message 4 of 10

Edit: Before you look at that, update the drivers for your Intel rapid storage drivers. That has reported causing this event.

Try replacing your system catalog database as microsoft recommends. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363941(WS.10).aspx

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
usphilos
Punch Card
Views: 2,922
Message 5 of 10

the turbo drivers i tried were the latest listed under "memory" on the lenovo web site.  i also tried the win7 drivers offered during the win7 install.  they are a down revision to the lenovo drivers, but both options failed with the same problems.

i did see the microsoft link and tried renaming the catroot2 directory.  same problem.  a bad side effect i found out the hard way is a loss of windows update history.  i will need to find a fix to this new problem as well.

Views: 2,920
Message 6 of 10

I wasn't referring to the turbo memory drivers, it's the Intel SATA drivers that need to be updated according to what I read.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,908
Message 7 of 10

My guess (with no real information) is that you replaced your hard drive with a newer one. Many of the newer drives, especially the larger ones, came with what is called "advanced formatting". The English translation of advanced formatting is that the drive has 4kb sectors instead of the traditional 512-bite sectors. Advanced format drives are incompatible with turbo memory drivers. There are some work-arounds, but you end up with turbo memory not working, which is probably OK because I have never heard of anyone finding a real improvement related to having it.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
usphilos
Punch Card
Views: 2,903
Message 8 of 10

if i am not mistaken, the sata drivers are the drivers included in the turbo memory/matrix storage manager package and are the drivers i am having trouble with.  could be very wrong here.

the latest lenovo drivers under "chipset" have also been installed, although i have no idea how to verify this, as the readme does not explain how to verify the version installed.

on the new drive, i did upgrade the original hitachi 200MB drive with the seagate 750GB.  i have no info on whether this is a problem even though win7 seems to work well otherwise.  which leads me to ask, under the storage readme, it says the following:

"- It is not recommended to use Intel Turbo Memory in a system with a SSD drive.    It would be ideal to remove the Intel Turbo Memory module from the system, if   SSD drive is used.  Refer the hardware maintenance manual.  Or set to disable   Intel Turbo Memory as follows."

although i am not using an SSD, and i am having issues with the turbo memory, and i might as well remove it from the system.  (there is an exclaimation on in the device manager. both win7 and system update v4 both want me to install the failing turbo memory drivers.)

does anyone know how to remove the turbo memory module?  the maintenance manual does not show where it is in the system.

Views: 2,898
Message 9 of 10

Removing it is very easy. Remove the wristrest/palmrest, and keyboard, then look on the left side of the laptop, just above the wristrest location, but under the heatsink and you'll see the turbomemory miniPCIe card. There are two screws to remove and that end will lift up and the card will slide out.

usphilos
Punch Card
Views: 2,882
Message 10 of 10

thanks for the info on the turbo memory card.  i found it and removed it.  no more device manager notifications.

googling this problem produces more entries on the Dell and HP sites where customers had similiar issues with their intel turbo memory driver using win7 pro 64-bit.  this link says that HP fixed their problem with certain intel based systems. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=&destPage=d...

the hp driver version is 9.5.6.1001 (4/30/2010) and seems newer than the lenovo versions available on the lenovo drivers & downloads site.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors