Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,636
Message 1 of 23

Intel wireless card and Channel 13... on a Z61m running windows xp

Hi guys

I need to configure the built-in Intel wireless 3945abg lan card on my Z61m to use Channel 13 to pick up the modem/router for internet access.

I gather it can (from the Intel site) outside the US and inside the US it uses channels 1-11:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-006064.htm

I have not found any way to configure windows to select channel 13 on the device settings, nor in the Intel software.

Sorry if this is too general a description!

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,626
Message 2 of 23

Re: Intel wireless card and Channel 13... on a Z61m running windows xp

Hi IceMan007, welcome to the forums,

Could you post the type and model number of the system, please do NOT post the s/n.

If the system, or wlan card, originate from the USA or another country where the channel may not be used it will most likely be disabled.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Legacy-ThinkPads-Z60-61-G40-41-A/Z60t-cannot-access-wireless-channel-13/...

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,617
Message 3 of 23

Hi Andy

Thanks for the welcome and for that link.  My Z61m was purchased in New Zealand so I have no idea if it originated in the US or not.

The full model info is:

IBM Thinkpad Z61m, Type 9450-A22.

Does this info help identify if it's capable of running channels 1-13?

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,599
Message 4 of 23

9450-A22

Based on 9451-P1M: T5500(1.66GHz), 512MB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon X1300, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, IEEE 1394, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

It looks as though, according to the parts list, the system left the factory with the Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG Mini-PCI Express Adapter FRU Nr. 41W1027 which was also supplied with system type numbers ending in "U" for USA.

My conclusion would therefore be that channel 13 has been disabled on that card, sorry Smiley Sad

I don't know how mission critical it is for you to have channel 13, this can after all be changed in the router / access point, but you could try and get hold of a card with the FRU Nr. 41W1029, (supplied with "G" European systems), on which the channel will be available. Do not purchase a non-IBM/Lenovo card; whitelisting would prevent them from working unless you are prepared to apply a hacked BIOS.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,587
Message 5 of 23

Hi Andy

Wow, thanks so much for clarifying this for me - I defer to your expertise at translating the parts list!!  What a shame I have US components in the machine Smiley Sad

Yeah, I could change the channel on the modem/router but several other devices are already configured for a business using that channel, so I'm reluctant to change anything right now.  It's good to have it clarified that I am looking at a component restriction rather than some obscure software setting!

One last questoin, if I may.  Would it be best to contact Lenovo to see if the part is available?  Or a service agent?

Cheers mate,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,577
Message 6 of 23

I've just checked IBM Asia-Pacific Part Sales and they aren't listing it, (the European card), under the original number any more Smiley Sad  I found a reliable German parts supplier who say the number was superseded by FRU 42T0855 which is listed by Part Sales and costs $110 Smiley Surprised A search of Australian Fleabay found some offers considerably cheaper.

Instructions on how to replace the card can be found in the Hardware Maintenance Manual or at the movies.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,553
Message 7 of 23

Hi Andy

Thanks again - you're a legend!!

I've ordered a 41W1029 part off Fleabay Aus - cheap enough price for me to try it out.  Probably second hand but that's ok for this machine.  Now to study the FRU section of that hardware manual!!  

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,538
Message 8 of 23

Hi Chris,

glad you could find one. Smiley Very Happy

If you go to page 80 of the Manual pdf you'll see it's only necessary to pop the battery, palm rest and keyboard off in order to be able to swap the card out, or refer to the relevant movies in the following order; battery first, then palm rest followed by keyboard.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,411
Message 9 of 23

Hi Andy (if you see this!)

Ok, so I managed to get a cheap FRU Nr. 41W1029 off Fleabay, and it actually arrived in NZ.  Has all the right looking labels etc for an original used part.

I managed to replace the part and the laptop booted up fine.  I checked that there were no Windows configuration errors (via Control Panel) and all looked good... except that the card still only shows Channels 1-11 available, and not my holy grail of Channel 13.  Smiley Sad

Is there something else I need to do?  Load a European driver for the wireless card?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,405
Message 10 of 23

Hi Chris,

that certainly surprises me that channel 13 isn't available Smiley Surprised  I would certainly download the latest driver, uninstall the existing one through device manager and then after a restart install the newer driver which should be this one;

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS030245

Edit; also found this bit of advice at forum.thinkpads.com about enabling the channels in device manager.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28858

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals