Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,400
Message 11 of 23

Re: Intel wireless card and Channel 13... on a Z61m running windows xp

Hi Andy

Thanks for those links - I appreciate your help.

Sadly, still no channel 13.   I've uninstalled the driver and intalled the latest Lenovo driver but when going into Device Manager to select a channel, it only shows channels 1-11 Smiley Frustrated  I get the same result when using the Intel software to control the wireless configuration.

I've also seen references to some wireless cards allowing you to use Device Manager to select a country which in turn allows the additional channels to be shown.  But there's no country setting for the intel driver.

The second link leads me to think I may need to do a registry edit... but so far the only reference I have found is based on doing a Linux-based change!

So I am wondering if this holy grail is fading and that there is some other reason for the card not allowing a listing of channels 12 and 13.  Or perhaps I've not been sold the card I thought I was buying?!

Thanks again for all your help mate.

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,394
Message 12 of 23

Hi Chris,

well I'm sorry to hear that, Smiley Sad I'm a bit baffled now and out of ideas. You may be right about a registry hack, but I've never heard of it being necessary.  With a bit of luck George, ajkula66, will chime in and maybe have some more ideas.

Edit;  I've removed the solution flag, when this is finally solved it may need to be on another post.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Guru
Views: 1,380
Message 13 of 23

@andyP wrote:

.  With a bit of luck George, ajkula66, will chime in and maybe have some more ideas.

Someone called? Smiley Wink

The problem here is that I while I've seen the thread I really don't have any new ideas to offer.

Nothing runs XP in my house anymore...which complicates the issue even further.

I *seem*  to remember that Intel's own wireless utility at some point used to offer the choice of channels. I do recall seeing it in the "properties" tab for certain wireless cards as well , but couldn't point out whether 3945ABG was one of them...

Are you using Access Connections, Windows or something else to manage your wireless networks ?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,363
Message 14 of 23

Hey Andy, thanks!

Hi George!

Yeah, good ole Win XP!  I may have to upgrade to Windows 7 but for now the old laptop is running XP

I've been using/trying both Windows device mangler and the Intel PROset/Wireless Wifi Connection Utility software.  

Both do present an option for the Ad Hoc Channel but so far only listing channels 1-11 whereas I wish to access Channel 13 to hook up with a wireless A/P (I'm in NZ so we have channels 1-13 available...).

The Intel utility appears to call up the Windows device mangler to set the Ad Hoc Channel... and the highest channel is 11.

Cheers,

Chris

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,350
Message 15 of 23

Hi Chris,

I just had another idea as a double check, why I didn't think of it earlier - dunno?  Any chance you could boot the system from a live Linux disc, Ubuntu or another flavour if you have a preference, in order to double check the card can definitely receive / transmit on the higher channels?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,339
Message 16 of 23

Hi Andy

Good idea!  I haven't used Linux before but I have a magazine cover disk with Ubunto 12.10 distro and a Linux Mint 13 distro so will give one or both a go... and hope there's enough familiar in their GUI to track down the transmit channels!  Smiley Tongue

Cheers,

Chris

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,322
Message 17 of 23

Hi guys

I booted the laptop with an Ubuntu 12.10 boot CD and have verified that channels 12 and 13 were accessible via the wireless settings.  ie the card appears to allow those channels set when using Ubuntu...

Cheers,

Chris

Guru
Views: 1,305
Message 18 of 23

OK so now we know it's a software issue...

Maybe, just maybe...if you completely wiped everything to do with the wireless drivers/utilities, and started fresh once again...that's about the only thing I can think of, and have no clue whether this suggestion will get you anywhere...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,297
Message 19 of 23

Thanks George, yeah, that's a good suggestion.  I reckon I'll also have to search and delete wireless keys in the registry (backing it up before hacking it of course!)  Smiley Frustrated

Cheers,

Chris

IceMan007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,267
Message 20 of 23

Hi guys

I have uninstalled the device and associated Intel software, then removed some remaining references to the Intel wireless references from the registry (courtesy of finding this article on Intel's site...: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029916.htm). 

Rebooted and reinstalled the Windows XP driver only, and... still no channel 13.  I haven't put the Intel software on yet, but I can't see that suddenly showing channel 13.

Edit - ie I installed the latest Intel driver for Windows Xp from the Lenovo support pages

I'm stumped.  Smiley Frustrated

Cheers,

Chris

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals