Intermittant Freezing and/or BSOD with T43

2009-08-27, 18:04 PM

First off -

T43 (18714CU)

XP SP3

1.5GB RAM
BIOS Version 1.29 (70ET69WW)
Centrino 1.86GHz

I'm getting a freeze (both screens lock up with marching vertical lines) that sometimes comes with a frozen BSOD.  No beep or warning - just either frozen in place or the BSOD comes up and instantly freezes in place.  I have to hard reset, and then the machine boots fine from there.

It always happens while I'm working or playing music - mostly using Firefox often with Pandora open in a tab.  However, it has happened with Firefox closed and while not playing music, but I can't remember what I was working on at the time.  I experimented by leaving WMP playing an album with nothing else open and came back to find it frozen,  it's also frozen unattended while streaming Pandora, and yesterday my wife said it froze when she tried to open a video stream, but when firefox restored that tab the video stream didn't crash it again.

Most often it runs fine all morning and locks up in the afternoon.  When I've consciously tried to minimize multitasking it's run fine for more than a day.

When I see the BSOD, it's given me a variety of error messages:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0x0000000A

(no file listed)

STOP 0x0000008E

Kmixer.sys listed

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP 0x00000050

(no file listed)

STOP 0x0000007E

Kmixer.sys listed

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

STOP 0x0000001A

(no file listed)

STOP 0x0000007F

(no file listed)

STOP 0x0000008E

Kmixer.sys listed

STOP 0x0000007E

tvtfilter.sys listed

STOP 0x0000007F

(no file listed)

I'm running in safe mode now to see if it happens here.

I've tried to burn recovery discs and it keeps telling me there's a problem with my CD's.  Same error while trying to burn music or files to a CD.  I don't know if that's related to the BSOD - doesn't seem like it, but I wanted to mention it.

I've also tried to use system restore, but it keeps failing saying "System Restore could not restore your computer to x date".

I downloaded and installed Memtest86+ and burned it (on another computer, obviously), but have not tried it yet.

This is a refurb, and came with a fresh install of XP.  The OS is registered and all good, but I had to install some of the ThinkPad Utilities myself, including the IBM Rescue & Recovery utility.  When I did that, I got back the "Press Access IBM to interrupt normal startup" ability, and I see that there's a "Restore Factory Setup" option in there.

Honestly, since System Restore isn't functioning I don't have a good software baseline.  I thought about doing the factory restore, but without restore CD's I'm nervous about initiating a HDD format without knowing for sure that the rescue & recovery partition is there and functional.

Any thoughts?

Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Intermittant Freezing and/or BSOD with T43

2009-08-27, 20:01 PM

Sorry, meant to say - hi all - first post on this forum.  Thanks!

Options

232 Posts

02-02-2009

USA

68 Signins

2538 Page Views

• Views: 2538
  • Message 3 of 10

2009-08-28, 7:41 AM

Google is your friend and those files kmixer and tvtfilter are from Microsoft and Lenovo respectively, w/o your crash dump or mindump file it is likely ThinkVantage Rescue Recovery is attrmpting to access a file locked by kmixer or kmixer related thread.

The core design of the NT kernel (NT ever since 1993 and the same "NT" label ever since in every OS except windows 95,98, 999blahblah)  is to protect core and core related processes from tampering and this includes one trying to access a file locked by another core / critical process.

Suggestions: Ensure you have the latest versions of TVT and monitor if the problem reoccurs, if so then disable TVT (RTFM if you don't know how) and monitor for recurrence of your system halts.

Ensure you have authtentic and latest Thinkpad audio drivers,  authentic meaning  the drivers for the specific audio card in your specific machine type and model number.

A "non authentic" driver is one that is still obtained from Lenovo but sloppily contains enough config info in the inf files to trick PNP into beleiving the driver is suited for the actual hardware and the "Driver Signing Warning" has nothing to do with this.

Your sound card may even function on the wrong drivers but will exhibit problems and conflicts possibly like you're expeireincg now.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2009-08-28, 15:04 PM

Hey, I'm a noob, but so bad that I didn't google those .sys files.  :smileyhappy: I just didn't know how to make sense of the wide range of problems those files are associated with.

These suggestions make sense - I'll try those and update with results.

Also, memtest86+ showed no errors after 1 pass yesterday.  I'll run it overnight tonight, but don't expect any surprises.

Speaking of hardware, the Knoppix suggestion below the line - was that also directed at me or just part of your sig?

And thanks for responding!

Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2009-08-29, 18:38 PM

Now I'm confused - maybe just tripping over myself, but here's where I'm at...

tvtfilter version 4.1.0.0

kmixer version 5.1.2600.5512

Very frustrated trying to verify if there are more recent versions I should have.

Found reference to Kmixer version 5.2.3790.0, but following those links led me to sites that wanted me pay for the download.  For example: http://www.systemfiles.net/sys/k/kmixer.sys/download.html

Maybe that's normal, I've just never paid for a driver in the past, and as a troubleshooting maneuver, I'd at least want a way to verify compatibilty with my system before paying for that download.

I searched the Lenovo and MS Help & Support sites, and both came up dry on version info about these files.  So at this point, after hours of research, Google is no longer my friend, and there's nothing in any of my manuals about how to disable tvtfilter.  I'm not afraid to do the work, but I'm going in circles, so any search tips or links are appreciated.

Meantime, I'm moving on to the audio card driver.

Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2009-08-29, 18:44 PM

According to Lenovo, my installed SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio driver version 5.12.1.5300 is the correct package for my Thinkpad.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-58599

Options

232 Posts

02-02-2009

USA

68 Signins

2538 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2009-08-30, 14:35 PM

What happened when you disabled TVT per my original suggestion ?

Never pay for a driver and it is discouraged to download a driver from a third party site.

Even official drivers from the original componet manufacturer can be hazardous since OEM's such as IBM / Lenovo will typically tweak universal drivers from ATI, Atheros, even Intel's SATA driver for their particular platform and the universal drivers from those companies or others may be recongized by Windows Add New Hardware wizards but still fail to properly start the device or create other insidious problems.

There is divisive ferver over the topic of updated drivers from Microsoft.com Windows Update as many have sweared by Microsoft versions of Thinkpad drivers while others have experienced only horror and rage after integrating them. Our observations and forum digests seem to indicate the effectiveness of Microsoft updated Thinkpad device drivers vary based on the particular machine type and is one of the later choices in the troubleshooting process and after a reliable Ghost / Acronis image has been made.

If these thoughts, or following the original advice is too arduous for your current skill levels then you need to seek assistance of a qualified tech / friend before proceeding. The Windows community is littered with corpses of people who tried to fix a driver issue but were lured into escalating measures of modifications because of  ..."...in order to run this utility I have to install this software,,, and that software has to have this hotfix..."   when you're spiraling into this dependency process while drifting further away from addressing the original issue -you are complicating the issue possibly beyond repair or requires so much time to fix newly created issues you will end up wasting enough time you could've just reinstalled windows and your applications several times over instead of carefully backtracking the parts you destroyed with misguided novice steps from unverified web site forum postings.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2009-08-30, 21:51 PM

I wasn't able to figure out how to disable Tvtfilter.sys. I'm still working on that. 

Don't know what manual you were referring to that has that info, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks for confirming my instinct not to pay for (or download) a driver from a random site.

Your escalating dependency discussion brings me back to one of my original questions: 

I'm able to boot to the Access IBM console that include a "Restore to Factory Settings" option.  I'm fine with reformatting and going back to the factory settings, but I'm scared that the recovery partition isn't really there.  Can I verify it before I run it?

Options

8 Posts

08-10-2009

Huntsville, AL

26 Signins

158 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2009-08-30, 22:27 PM

BTW, if it makes any difference, my model lists with a 40GB HDD and it only shows with a 34.2GB capacity.  That makes me think the recovery partition is actually there.

Options

232 Posts

02-02-2009

USA

68 Signins

2538 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2009-10-11, 4:45 AM

Old post, new reply.

The TVT service and may also be a startup item, we don't use it nor the Rapid Restore as it vacuums up free HDD space and the configs fail to warn the user the reason they're out of space is it was drammed into the %systemdrive%\rrbackups directory.

Tip, if you hate the space lost to RRUBackups but don't want to remove Rapid Restore, mount the disk as a slave and delete the RRUBackups directory.

Then create a new text file and name it RRUBackups. at the %systemdrive% / typically C:\.

A file and directory with the same name can't exist at the same level and the system is unable to recreate the RRUBackups closet of files and you'll maintain better control of your drives. Use that same tactic to prevent the recylcer and System Volume Information but lose EFS support since encryptiyng file system uses the System volume Information directory normally reserved strictly to the System account for creating temporary EFS swap files. tHE Micrsooft System Restore service also uses System volume Information along with CISvc but CD can be easily reconfigured to relo its catalogs and anyone using MS System Restore deserves any crash that happens since MS SysREstore won't do anything else but waste your time at the worst moment.

------------------
------------------
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save