Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABSAS
What's DOS?
Views: 503
Message 1 of 7

Keyboard typing different keys from what it normally does

When I use the spacebar / appears. When I press return # appears, when I use the back delete button a [ appears. How can I restore the usual setting?I have done a system restore, switched the laptop on and off. It has not restored the usual keyboard. I have tried all the function keys. Please could someone help me with a solution to restore the keyboard's usual settings.

Thanks Smiley Happy

PoPSiCLe
Greps Everything
Views: 490
Message 2 of 7

Re: Keyboard typing different keys from what it normally does

This just started suddenly? No spilling of any liquid or other "abuse" of the computer? It sounds to me like the keyboard gets the wrong signals - not even enabling num lock or anything of the kind should result in such behavior - the space bar, return and back key are all pretty much the same on all keyboard-types - unless you've installed some sort of key-remapper (which is highly unlikely, given you've done a system restore) - which makes me wonder - have you run a keyboard test from the BIOS/startup diagnostic?

Most likely it's a shot keyboard, given that no abuse has taken place - run the diagnostic test on the keyboard, and see what turns up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 487
Message 3 of 7

what is the model number of your machine?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 483
Message 4 of 7

Just some advice, but anytime you ask for help without including your windows version, computer model, and as much information you can provide, you're only wasting your time as well as anyone elses who has to reply and ask you. I'm not trying to be rude or unhelpful, just trying to make sure the next time you ask for help, be it here or elsewhere, that you make it possible for someone to actually help you.

Without knowing the type of computer and windows version, best I can say is your regional settings could be wrong (setup for forign language keyboard perhhaps), or a keyboard that's simply worn out , damaged, defective or abused can do that.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
ABSAS
What's DOS?
Views: 448
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for all your help. I'm a first timer so advice on how to gain help is always appreciated. The model is a thinkpad t61 with windows xp. I've tried a diagnosis to no avail. There had been water split on it so I think the keyboard is fried unless there is something more I can do?

Cheers

Alison
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 444
Message 6 of 7

If water means "water" only, then it will probably be ok once it drys out, but if it was flavored, or ice left over from a drink or something, then you have a sticky mess inside. I've had sucess cleaning them out before, but you can damage them pretty easy, so best bet is to buy a keyboard. 

In my shop I get $150 to do a new keyboard swap, or if it was a friend I'd put a used one on for $50. Thats figuring $25 to buy one on ebay and get it shipped, and 25 to install. The installation is easy, anyone with modest skills could do it. I can even get you photographic instructions if your inclined.

If you want to try and clean yours out, usually they have two conductive layers with a insolating layer inbetween, you usually have to uncrimp the metal to get it apart (sorry, don't have one to look at in front of me, so I can't be exact)., then you can separate the layers, just don't try to scrub them, if tey are all stiky and gooey, just soak them in water overnight, then rince the goo off and let them air dry. 

You might end up with a keybard that stutters, or has keys that need to be pressed extra hard, or even one that is shorted *machine will object by beeping*, if so, just get a new/used keyboard.

By the way, the reaon I ave purchased thinkpads for the last 20 years is simple, by the time they need parts replacement, the used market is flooded with corporate lease returns and parts are cheap.  Plus they usually out last everything else.

Good luck

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 433
Message 7 of 7

okay if there was water spilled on the keyboard this maybe a different issue. Hopefully change of motherboard can help you resolve the issue.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft