Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnbwise
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,958
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo T61 Shuts Down Unexpectedly

Intel Core2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20 GHz

My system has started shutting down at - seemingly - random times. I've been using my laptop to run MCMC simulations in MATLAB, which at times can take several days to complete executing. Additionally, I've had multiple instances of MATLAB running in an attempt to utilize 100% processing time to get results sooner. Obviously, doing this has caused more heat to be dissipated from the machine; however, I would think that as long as things are acting to spec, the system should be fine as far as heat is concerned, so perhaps, my activities arn't a factor in the error I'm reporting. Moreover, I have had the system shutdown when simply browsing the web with little processing power being used.

Could this be software related, as its been a couple years since I've reinstalled my operating system?

Thanks.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,932
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo T61 Shuts Down Unexpectedly

download tpfancontrol and prime95, run them both and check what temperature your CPU and GPU is running at。

If they get over 80 degrees, then you may need to clean out the heatsink, which can be reached by removing the palmrest and keyboard.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
racertracer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,242
Message 3 of 5

Heating up the Nvidia chip with a small heat gun to get the solder reattached and using arctic silver at reassembly wroked for me.

metalik
Punch Card
Views: 1,195
Message 4 of 5

@ racertracer: of course you realize that in the hands of less skilled or less informed users, your advice becomes the "way to hell" for that poor laptop?!?

Personally, for the sake of correctly identifying a possible cause, I would stick with the other piece of advice - check with Prime95 if heat is definitely the cause). However, Prime95 is meant to stress the CPU (which, in turn, heats up a bit more the GPU as well, because they share the heatsink).

For stressing the GPU there are other little utilities available.

Nevertheless: check the Windows Event Viewer for any errors prior to the shutdown moments, in the logs. Even is it's heat related, a Kernel-Power event will be recorded prior to Bios taking the system off (at least under Win7, I don't remember if it's the same under XP).

Regards,

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
rosebank
Token Ring
Views: 1,176
Message 5 of 5

is your machine connected to the internet during this activity you explained, your sys can handle the 100% load of this program but something like the antivirus either trying to update of doing its daily check (scan) could be enough to tip your cpu over the edge, if not required and not connected to internet turn off antivirus to save some cpu, aswell as other possible maintenance tasks that could launch without you knowing, causing the system too much load and then shutdown. ?? just a possible cause?? :-)

Cheers Paul :-)
T61,T9300,4GB,SSD,DVDRW,3G,Sata2,14.1-(4:3),IntelX3100,x2usb3 express, Win-10

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals