Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 340
Message 31 of 33

Re: Lenovo T61 screen has gone dark - how to find the right replacement

I can tell you that there is a lot of bad information on the internet especially about these laptops. I've installed hundreds of these boards and this is how I do it. Squeeze the paste onto the chip and spread it in circles until you've got the whole surface of the chip covered. You don't want too much or too little paste on the chip. Use just enough so the full surface is covered. Don't attempt to smooth it out it should look like the surface of the ocean with waves. Do this to both the CPU and GPU chips. When you install the heatsink place one finger over each of the areas that cover the chips and wiggle slightly to work the heat sink down against them. Secure the heat sinking place with all the screws and you should have a very cool running machine. For the Intel controller chip there should be a Gray pad, if that's not there you can probably get by with some paste but it's very important that the heatsink fits snugly on the GPU as it requires a lot of cooling and using the gray pad is very forgiving when it comes to fitment and without it if your heat sink was bent even a tiny bit it would never fit snuggly on both chips, so if you press down over the controller chip you could dislodge the fitment over the GPU, and vice a versa. The important thing is that it fits snugly on the GPU.

Yes these laptops will overheat in seconds without a properly installed heatsink fan

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 282
Message 32 of 33

Have you resolved this problem?

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
LinuxUser1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 272
Message 33 of 33

Unfortunately I've been traveling (dealing with some personal stuff).. Will retry when I get back (maybe next weekend Smiley Happy.

I have a replacement cpu that I'm going to try with the motherboard.. to see if I can at least get it to boot (that's the next step).

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale