03-24-2012 10:42 PM
My laptop has presence of electricity current in all external metal parts (e.g. hinges), even when running on battery. I discovered this when I started getting minor shocks. Then I used a tester screwdriver to confirm - and it glowed when applied to each metal part.
Is this a normal phenomenon? If not, what could be the cause, and what the remedy?
Any information or guidance will be much appreciated.
03-25-2012 03:50 AM
My first guess is that you're using a generic ac adapter, or a faulty one. If that's the case, get a new (real) one. If not, then you have something very wrong that needs to be addressed, I'd rather not guess at it, but a properly grounded device should never do this.
03-28-2012 12:22 PM
Actually I'm using the original Lenovo AC Adapter 90W 20V. I have brought my T-61 to India from The U.S. The Adapter has 2-Pin input. The wall-to-adapter cable is 7A 125V and It has the American 2-pin plug. The power supply here is 220-240V. The input voltage specification of the Adapter is 100-240V.
I insert the 2-Pin plug into a 3 Pin Adapter Plug, which goes into the wall. The main is grounded.
I had earler made an error in stating the the shocks are felt, even when running on batteries. That is not correct.
I didnit realize that I had a gadget connected to the USB port, and the said gadget was connected to the mains.
Therefore, it seems clear that the 90W Adapter or its connection is not at fault. Because when adapter is removed the laptop still gives a shock because a gadget connected to the laptop by USB is in turn connected to the mains.
Thanks for your help.
03-28-2012 01:37 PM
I'm inclined to think you have a grounding problem in the building, not the laptop, but you can try a 3prong lenovo adapter. I can get them here in the usa for about $20-25, I'd offer to ship one to you, but you can probably buy it cheaper there considering the cost to ship.