Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randomperson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 605
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Z61T not booting

So, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T 9660CTO which I bought in 2007. It has served me well.

Yesterday, it was working perfectly, albeit with some exxtra high heating at the bottom, close to 60-70 degrees Celcius.

Then , I wanted to put in a new SSD into it. So, I took out the old HDD and then connected it, and the other SSD via USB casing to another computer running a disk cloning software. Tried it did not work.

Now, I put back the old HDD into the Thinkpad, it does not start up again at all. Even the first screen which says "Thinkpad" press Blue button for recovery" does not come up now. Hard drive is not it, since the screen does not switch on at ALL. If it was HDD failure, it would say something like HDD not detected.

But in this case, it does not even show the initial Thinkpad screen.

So, this may be a loose connection somewhere (even though I did not remove the casing at all while removing the HDD)

Both times, I removed and reattached the HDD, with the power cable removed from the Thinkpad, but, the battery was still inside the chassis. Short circuit?

Bad! Someone help.

randomperson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 604
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Z61T not booting

In case its not clear, when I press the power button, I do not arrive at the press Del to enter BIOS screen at all. No THINKPAD screen. Just black screen and no HDD activity
randomperson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 543
Message 3 of 4

And so, I google and googled and googled. I found that reinstalling the RAM would work. Tried that. worked. Was able to reinstall the win XP original DVDs that came with the machine on the new SSD.

but then again I made a mistake. I loaded the old HDD in the ultrabay and started the machine. It again went into the deep blue funk, refusing to boot.

I then immediately reinstalled the RAM chips.....but the machine did not boot.

the thinkpad screen, where one may press F1 and del, refuses to come up.

what to do ?

randomperson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 534
Message 4 of 4

So anyways, after

1. Removing the battery and trying to boot

2. changing the RAM slots,

3, Removing and  reputting the 2032 battery again...

The computer started booting again.

But. It come to the Windows XP login screen and stops booting.

Something seems to have corrupted the Win XP installation , so I will re-install using the Factory reset option in thinkvantage rescue and recovery.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale