cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opheliac93
Paper Tape
Views: 17,114
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo thinkpad R61 Fan Error and can't bypass it.

Hi I got a fan error today after starting laptop

took fan out and cleaned inside put everything back in booted it up still fan error

I read you could press esc/f1 to bypass the error and continue startup, but this does not seem to work for me.

Please help- would really like to bypass the fan error just once.

Guru
Views: 17,103
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo thinkpad R61 Fan Error and can't bypass it.

Welcome to the forum!

Bypassing a "fan error" warning is a rather bad idea. Pressing just the "Esc" key should get you out, though, but you are risking major damage to your laptop's internals. A new fan is in order here.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 17,102
Message 3 of 4

This error is generated when there is an open or shorted circuit on the fan motor. This is usually a bad fan motor, but could also be a bad system board. The fan motor itself can be purchased for about $10, so it hardly makes sense to risk your laptop if you can most likely fix it for about what a really good cup of coffee cost...

On the otherhand a mocha latte would sound nice right about now  Smiley Happy

ps. You might try plugging the new fan motor into the motherboard before you install it, make sure the error is gone, then install it. If you get the same error with the new fan plugged in, then you have a serious problem.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 17,088
Message 4 of 4

The error can also be generated if the grease on the bearing surface has dried up and the fan doesn't spin fast enough

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale