cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epei
Paper Tape
Views: 2,256
Message 1 of 6

Malfunctioning wireless network adapter (Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG)

Please help

Symptoms:

1. Cannot establish connection to wireless network (either association fails or unable to obtain IP configuration)
  2. Periodically unable to detect broadcast signal from wireless access point
  3. Wireless radio deactivates itself off from time to time

Steps taken to diagnose/resolve problem:

1. Other PCs successfully connect to Internet via same wireless network, signal strength/stability optimal
  2. No physical barriers or signal interference between problem PC and wireless access point
  3. SSID and network encryption settings entered correctly in router setup
  4. SSID and network encryption settings entered correctly in wireless connection management utilities
  5. Problem PC can connect to Internet via wired connection to cable modem
  6. Problem PC can connect to Internet via wired connection to access point
  7. Hardware wireless radio switch toggled to 'On' position
  8. Wireless radio powered on through ThinkVantage Access Connections utility (until self-deactivation)
  9. No errors, conflicts or malfunctions indicated for wireless network adapter under Device Manager
  10. Latest driver software for wireless network adapter installed (vers 11.1.0.89)
  11. TCP/IP Protocol installed for device and set to automatically obtain IP and DNS server addresses
  12. All wireless network adapter properties set to default values
  13. Option to automatically switch off wireless network adapter is de-selected 
  14. Problem persists regardless of whether using ThinkVantage Access Connections utility or Windows XP to manage wireless connections
  15. Latest Windows updates installed

Relevant specifications:

1. Lenovo Thinkpad T61, type 7663-BV8
  2. Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3
  3. Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG
  4. Linksys WRT160N wireless router
  5. NEC DSL modem (ISP provided)
cmho333
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,234
Message 2 of 6

Re: Malfunctioning wireless network adapter (Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG)

I have similar experience too, but malfunction only happens when I am trying to connect to my school network which is WPA2-enterprise or WPA-enterprise. My wireless seems to work fine at home with WPA-personal. All other laptops work fine (so it is my laptop). The signal is fine because it register 100% strength.

Basically, mine works for a few minutes, then it starts malfunctioning (school network only). During malfunction, it cannot detect any wireless network (even those that aren't WPA-enterprise). When it can detect wireless network again, it may or may not be able to reconnect to the school network.

AGoodSolution
802.11n
Views: 2,218
Message 3 of 6

Uninstall ThinkVantage connection Manager, aside from the ability to store connection profiles it is just redundant and meddlesome.

then, with services.msc, configure the properties of your Zero Wireless service and set the advanced properties to play a particular sound or estanciate a popup shell ( your hardware description insinuates existing knowledge of how) to generate some type of consipciuos event in case the WZCSVC is dying for any reason.

If it still fails, then ensure the BIOS settings are set to MAX Performance everywhere possible and disable any power saving features and battery extender.

Still fails, boot hte system from a KNOPPIX CD to determine if the issue remains, if the internittent power drops occur when using a completely different OS then it is certainly a hardware issue.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
epei
Paper Tape
Views: 2,209
Message 4 of 6

Many thanks. A few questions re: the above suggestions, please.

1. Is it necessary to uninstall ThinkVantage Access Connections in order to run Zero Wireless? Can the program not be disabled temporarily?
  2. Zero Wireless is a more robust utility or offers better diagnostic tools than ThinkVantage Access Connections, is that the idea?
  3. Could a simple compatibility issue with the authentication technology be causing an unstable wireless connection and other symptoms, as suggested in the earlier reply--in which case the answer could be as easy as switching to WPA or static WEP encryption? 

Thanks again. My understanding of some of the recommended procedures is insufficient for me to attempt them without a lot of anguish, unfortunately. A little more color would help me to decide whether I should have another go at this or bring the ThinkPad down to the service center while still under warranty (and avoid screwing things up myself).

Wil70
What's DOS?
Views: 860
Message 5 of 6

I have an T 61 with O.S. Win7 64 bit, it works but I can't get logged in at Live Messenger ( while with mail IN from hotmail open, I have Messenger ) but the programm itself won't work! Via Microsoft forum I got the advice to update my driver; I tried it with the Intel Assistent programm, but afterwards I didn't have WiFi connection at all! Who can help me?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 841
Message 6 of 6

Hello,

This is probably an unrelated issue to the original poster's. 

Do you have any security software installed that might be interfering with Windows Live Messenger's ability to register with Microsoft's servers?   If so, try disabling it temporarily to see if that solves the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals