Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimberlh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,914
Message 1 of 5

Missing operation system & PC Doctor for DOS bootable CD

Hello, I have a T 43

I downloaded the PC Doctor for DOS bootable CD  and burned it to a CD, I used the directions at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-56222 and I get a message saying "Missing operation system"

thoughts?

Thank you

Kimberly

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,907
Message 2 of 5

Re: Missing operation system & PC Doctor for DOS bootable CD

Assuming that you've downloaded the 1ety47ww.exe file, executed it to unpack the .ISO file, burned the .ISO file to a blank CD using  a "write image" (or similar) option to your CD burner program and have the CD/DVD drive in the list of bootable drives, then it should work.  The two most common things which go wrong and give you the "missing operating system" error message are:

- simply copying the .ISO file to the blank CD; that is, telling the burning program to treat the .ISO file as any other document or data file.  The CD writing program MUST use a specific setting/option which properly writes the .ISO file to the disk so that it becomes bootable

- the system's BIOS has removed the CD/DVD drive from the list of available boot devices; if you press the F12 key just after the system is turned on, you should get a "Preparing Boot Device List" message, followed by a "Boot Menu". The CD/DVD drive would be "ATAPI CD0:xxxxxx".  If that's not listed, then you will have to access the BIOS and change the Startup/Boot setting.

To a lesser extent, the CD/DVD drive may be defective - if it can't read the burnt disk, then that can also lead to the "missing OS" message.

----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request
kimberlh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,901
Message 3 of 5

Actually last night I figured out the F11 button would take me to a rescue and recovery. I use that to do return to factory specs with no personal files kept and it all work fine expect at one point it did say to missing a couple files but I could not get them written down quick enough before the screen disappeared. But it was working.

But this morning when I turned it on, it goes to start in normal mode but then it never loads and just sit there with a blank blue screen.

I assume this means it is not a hardware problem but a software problem and if I buy a recovery cd it would fix the problem.

Thoughts?  

Thank you

Kimberly

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,892
Message 4 of 5

Well, to me that sounds like a hard drive problem.  I would try booting the system with the PC Doctor for DOS disk and run at least the following tests under the Diagnostics menu:

- CPU/Coprocessor

- Systemboard

- Fixed Disks

- Memory Test - Full

For each one of these major system tests, once you are in the sub-menu, pressing CTRL-Enter will run all of the default tests.  The Fixed Disks tests are read-only; they will not overwrite any data on the drive.

----------
Ray Kawakami
X22;X24;X31;X41;X41T;X60;X60s;X61s;X300;X301;Z60m;Z61t;Z61p;560Z;600E;600X;T21;T22;T23;T41;R50;A21p;A22p;A31 and A31p
Not a Lenovo employee; just a volunteer helping out here
All personal links to PC-Doctor software removed 8/2012 by mfg request
kimberlh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,888
Message 5 of 5

I went a head and got a recover disk for ibm (pre-lenovo) I  want to try. Right now it loads one time and does not the next so I hope this cd fixes the missing files.

Thank you

Kimberly

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors