Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trivium
What's DOS?
Views: 7,368
Message 1 of 2

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error.

Hello all,

Well, after much frustration with my Lenovo R60, I have come to the forums in hopes that I can get my laptop back to a working state.

About 2 weeks ago, I was playing a game when my laptop went to a blue screen with the following error message on it:

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

After the first occurance, it booted up fine. This happened about 3-4 more times playing the game and my laptop was fine, just needed to restart. However, after the 4th/5th time seeing the error, the error now occurs upon bootup after the XP logo loads. I've read a lenghty post about this error (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=92036), not specific to Lenovo machines, but just in general, and discovered that the error message is rather ambigious in nature. Sure, it states that the error has occurred due to memory, but as you can see in the above mentioned post, this is certainly not always the case. Users reported various resolutions to their NMI Parity Error's.

So that being said, I've tried replacing the RAM modules to no effect. I am however able to get into safe mode using both the old RAM and the new RAM. I have yet to perform any system updates, but that is my next step. One thing to note, is the screen display when the laptop boots up. From the second it boots untill I get the error, there are vertical dotted lines going across my screen - very strange. This might lead me to believe it's a video issue, however I am not sure.

Can any one provide some insight, ideas, possible causes, or information to help me get my laptop up and running again?
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 7,346
Message 2 of 2

Re: NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error.

For this error in particular,  consider the following:

1) Updating Drivers - From our experience, updating the drivers, including the wireless driver,  can help to fix this issue.

2) DIMM - Sometimes swapping out the memory will resolve this .. If this doesnt resolve the issue, then .you might be  experiencing an issue with the video card ..

2) Video Issues on systemboard - If you are still getting the same blue screen after swapping the memory, the issue has to do with the internal video memory on your systemboard. 

Are you seeing this message ?

NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error  ** The system has halted **

Replacing the systemboard itself is normally the best solution for this problem.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors