Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kenny
What's DOS?
Views: 1,174
Message 1 of 7

Need help

I have a T40, several days ago, I tried to replace the OEM hard drive. I turned off the laptop, and opened hard drive cover (forgot to remove the battery), pulled the hard drive out. After installing a new hard drive, the laptop showed it could not find any hard drive and system...  I had to reinstall the OEM hard drive, but it still could not be foundRobot Sad. I think T40 should not be hurt so easily....who can help me.....help....
garytr23
Token Ring
Views: 1,170
Message 2 of 7

Re: Need help

write the exact error message and we might be able to help you more..
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
kenny
What's DOS?
Views: 1,168
Message 3 of 7

It was under DOS situation, it says Could not find system. I checked BIOS, did not find any hard drive.
garytr23
Token Ring
Views: 1,164
Message 4 of 7

so.. if you hit f2 or whatever the key is to go into bios setup, you see no drive? 

or... does it say 'missing operating system' or what?  Please be as descriptive as possible.

Lenovo SL300 Owner
Highlighted
kenny
What's DOS?
Views: 1,110
Message 5 of 7

Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.17

Copyright 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

Intel Boot Agent PXE Base Code (BA1217BC)

Copyright 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

Operating System not found

kenny
What's DOS?
Views: 1,109
Message 6 of 7

I have replaced another hard drive into T40, but it didnt work neither.  And I put the OEM hard drive into another laptop, it could not be found....

Now I have to use the OEM hard drive in CDROM replacement rack, in this way, the T40 can find the hard drive.

garytr23
Token Ring
Views: 1,099
Message 7 of 7

when you put in a new hard drive... it should say 'operating system not found'... since you haven't installed one onto the hard drive.  but you say that when you put back the original the same message stays.  So, I'm confused.  Either something's broken on the motherboard... or it's just weird.  I would recommend trying to install an operating system on the new hard drive with your lenovo recovery cd's or by using a linux distribution. That's all i got for you, though.  Maybe when you installed the hard drive... you put it in incorrectly or upside down and bent some pins ... if so, good luck straightening them out.  Look inside the slot and check for that.  If the OEM hd doesn't work in a different laptop... i see no reason why it should work in your cd drive rack.  It shouldn't matter that the battery was there unless the computer was on during removal of the hard drive.

good luck 

Lenovo SL300 Owner

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors