Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 648
Message 1 of 5

Need your help to rescue & recovery T61

Hello every one, I'm a layman of IT& computer.  I was trying to restore my T61 (6457 CTO, Vista) by using the Rescue & Recovery disc (3 DVD disc got from Lenovo last year within my T61 warranty period).  When I boot computer by the recovery disc and, put operating system and applications & drivers recovery disc in (as requested), I was asked for Supplemental Recovery Disc which I don't have.  If I answered no supplemental recovery disc, trying to skip the processing, and the entire rescue & recovery could close, but not completed, and computer will not work.  Could you please help me to solve the problem,  either make me have the supplemental disc/substitute disc, or use other ways to make it work. Thank you so much in advance.    

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 630
Message 2 of 5

Re: Need your help to rescue & recovery T61

Personally I don't use the factory Install discs, I install windows from a microsoft disc, then install only the drivers I need to make the lenovo hardware work. A lot of what comes on all major brand computers is free limited versions of commercial products, and quite frankly, there are better freeware programs you can get.

That was somewhat of a disclaimer in case what I tell you is wrong, but I'm pretty sure the "sublimental" disc it wants is just the next disc in the (3 disc set) you got from lenovo.

Just insert the next disc and continue.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 619
Message 3 of 5

If you didn't receive the supplementl disk with you recovery disk set, call Lenovo support and tell them what you've written here.  They should send one out for you.

Keith
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU, X1 1921-26U
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891

gym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 607
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for your kind and rapid response. The 3 discs I have are: the first one for start rescue processing and loading some file(operating system?), then 2nd one comes for operating system recovery, the 3rd one is for applications & drivers recovery. I'm still don't understand how to rescue & recovery my T61 according to your method, please teach me how to get better freeware programs, from where and what I need to download to excute the rescue&recovery? Thanks again.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 596
Message 5 of 5

A microsoft windows install disc will install your operating system. If you want to active the operating system with your original key, you'll need an OEM install disc of the same version that shipped with your computer. 

If you have never done anything like this and don't want to learn, then you can either have a computer tech do it for you (I usually charge half hour service fee to reformat and install windows, or about $80), or you can call a local university and get a professor to recommend a studen that wants to earn a few dollars (geeks need to eat too).

Once windows is installed, you can go to Lenovo.com and either download system update to get all your correct drivers,or you candownload and install the drivers one at a time.

As for freewhere programs I use, instead of Microsoft Office, that is slow, bloated and expensive, I use OpenOffice, free from openoffice.org

I also use Linux operating system which works like Microsoft Windows, but is free and is more stable. If you want to try it, you can download a cdrom version from ubuntu.com and start your computer with it running only from the cdrom disc, and get a feel for how it looks and feels, but you'll need to install it to get the performance that surpasses Windows. *note: Linux isn't designed to run windows programs*

For playing Video, search and download "K Lite codec pack" (full). It comes with Media Player Classic, it will play anything Windows Media player will play using less resources and without any ads or annoying unwanted graphics or bloat.

I'd also recommend VLC player (videolan.org). Try both and use which ever you like.

For playing Audio, download WinAmp (winamp.com). It's an excellent audio player and can be highly customozed.

For downloading, you have many choices, but on the top of my list would be BitComet (bitcomet.com) It will integrate with poplular browsers and download http/ftp tasks, and is a full featured bittorrent client, so you can download anything offered on the worlds largest file sharing protocol from sites like thepiratebay and others.

For web browsing, I'd recommend both Google Chrome (google.com/chrome) and Mozille Firefox (mozilla.com). Both are far superior to Internet Explorer.

I'd also avoid installing Quicktime and Real Player, some web content requires it, but you can search for...

Quicktime Alternative

Real Player Alternative

Both of these sould be installed so you can play content without installing their respective programs that are bloated, slow and often contain adware.

If you have anything specific your looking for, I'll try to recommend something, but if you want to continue using the factory setup discs to restore your computer, then contact support and ask them which of the discs is the sublimental disc, although I'd guess it's the third disc.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals