Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beckp
Paper Tape
Views: 350
Message 1 of 4

New HD, can I use Rescue & Recovery?

Hello,

I have a T61 and just purchased a 320gig 7200rpm drive from Lenovo to replace my existing drive. Can I use Rescue & Recovery to move the entire contents of the existing drive over to the new drive? If so, what is the best procedure?

I will be using an external USB connected seagate drive as my back-up location.

Thanks in advance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 321
Message 2 of 4

Re: New HD, can I use Rescue & Recovery?

Sure, that's how I usually do it.

Use the "create rescue media" option in advanced R&R to make the external USB bootable.  Watch for the "preserve existing data" checkbox if you have anything already on the ext HD that you want to keep. ( Just launching a full backup from the start menu will wipe your external drive first, and take a looooong time formatting.)  Then pull a full backup.  Install the new HD, boot the external HD to it's copy of R&R (that's what the rescue media option created) and run a restore.

There are some cases when restoring to a completely blank HD where the boot to the new HD winds up at a black screen and blinking cursor - for some versions of R&R and some HDs.  In that case, reformat the new drive (by whatever means you can) and run the restore again.  Just running restore a 2nd time (since the drive is not blank any more) usually fails w/spontaneous R&R reboots for some reason.  There is another work-around IIRC. That is setting the HD to compatibility more before doing the restore, then back to AHCI after.  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-66963.html#396899

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

beckp
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 3 of 4

Thanks so much ... not sure what you mean by "  Watch for the "preserve existing data" checkbox if you have anything already on the ext HD that you want to keep." ? I will have existing data on that external USB HD that I want to keep so .... do I want the checkbox checked or unchecked?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 295
Message 4 of 4

@beckp wrote:

Thanks so much ... not sure what you mean by "  Watch for the "preserve existing data" checkbox if you have anything already on the ext HD that you want to keep." ? I will have existing data on that external USB HD that I want to keep so .... do I want the checkbox checked or unchecked?

I don't remember whether you check the box to save data or destroy it Smiley Sad  I hope it will be obvious when you see it.  (Sorry, I'm away from home and can't check just now).

My main point was that several/many unhappy users have just used the quick backup option (again I don't have a machine handy to see what it's called exactly) and found their external HD wiped.

Bottom line: if you don't see the checkbox - regardless of its "polarity" don't proceed.

Hopefully one of the local experts w/a machine handy - or a better memory - can add something.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals