Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcurtis
Paper Tape
Views: 1,032
Message 1 of 3

No Sound

My T40 is not playing any audio (music files, cd's, no sound from ie or fox browers, etc.) I know it's not the hardware (speakers) because it does beep when I hit the volume up/down buttons on the keypad, plus I hear it within bios troubleshooting. When I click on the volume control nothing is muted. When I select control panel -> sounds and audio devices -> options -> properties: Mixer device: SoundMAX Digital Audio is selected and is the only option and it says this device is working properly. I've gone through the entire troubleshooting sequence but get to the final result of 'We cannot determine the problem'. There is also no sound when I click on the audio settings program events arrow. I've tried updating the driver also.

Should I uninstall SoundMAX? It seems to be the only audio device option available.
Add or Remove Programs: SoundMAX publisher is Analog Devices version 5.12.01.5410
Analog Devices: www.analog.com
Should I remove and then reinstall?
FYI, my system is windows xp service pack 2

Thanks very much in advance.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,025
Message 2 of 3

Re: No Sound

See if KB888111 is installed in control panel-->software (check showing updates)

It must installed before installing audio drivers.

2 Questions:

Have you recently build a new system with xp cd?

Did the sound stop suddenly, after hibernating or anything?

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

tcurtis
Paper Tape
Views: 985
Message 3 of 3

Re: No Sound

I downloaded KB88811, installed it, and reinstalled the audio drivers but still no sound. Is there a way to get audio without using soundmax. Isn't there a default or other option? Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors