Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grecni
Paper Tape
Views: 40,582
Message 1 of 7

No audio device

I'm having an odd problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. I have a T60p (2007-CQ8) and I've lost my sound capabilities. I'm sure I changed something or something broke but I'm not sure what.

I'm running Windows XP. In Device Manager my sound device (SoundMAX Integrated Digtial HD Audio) is shown. If I select the sound device, Device Manager reports the device is working properly and that the device is enabled.

In device manager if I select services it shows Windows Audio service as started. The event log shows no errors.

If I select control panel - Sounds and Audio Devices the applet reports "No Audio Device" under the volume tab and all options are grayed out under the Audio tab.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both devices. I have upgraded to the latest drivers on the Lenovo support site.

I have run defragged and cleaned my registry (after the problem occured)

I have run PC Doctor tests on the audio card, which fail with "The Sound Inteactive Test failed to start" and have run through both the Windows and PC Doctor troublshooting to no avail.

I have run "sfc /scannow".

I have searched the internet for any other ideas to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions of other than a full system reload?

Thank you.

Jim

misha
Paper Tape
Views: 40,561
Message 2 of 7

Re: No audio device

dude, have you installed hda modem? it's for the micirosft uaa hi-def bus
Highlighted
BoredSysAdmin
Serial Port
Views: 40,553
Message 3 of 7

It sounds like UUA HD Issue: I have a solution for SP3 (RC1 and RC2) but it may help you out too if you running XP sp2. http://boredsysadm.blogspot.com/2008/03/windows-xp-sp3-and-microsoft-hd-audio.html

Message Edited by BoredSysAdmin on 04-23-2008 08:00 AM
grecni
Paper Tape
Views: 40,538
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Microsoft uaa hi-def bus is installed (in fact the current sound drivers will not install with out it). I did try deinstalling the hotfix that included the uaa hi-def bus, installed using the file provided in the link from BoredSysAdmin and reinstalled the sound driver. Still the problem. The device is there, the drivers are installed but still the sound applet shows no audio device.
grecni
Paper Tape
Views: 40,524
Message 5 of 7

I finally found a solution, found the following on another board (http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-34101-The-driver-has-been-enabled-but-has-not-been-started.html) and it solved my problem.

I've looked elswhere, read some more things and solved it! It was the "Enumerator" issue. To make sure you've been following the right procedure checkthis:
1. Chek if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices) - should be listed there!
2. If it is not there then we will probably solve it!
3. Locate "machine.inf" on your OS, copy it somewhere and modify it (find "ExcludeFromSelect=*" and remove the line or simply exclude it from processing by adding a ";" at the beginning)
4. Check the "machine.inf" file for location where SWENUM should be located (mine was reading: SWENUM.CoInstallers.CopyFiles = 11 ; %windir%\System32)
5. Find "swenum.sys" file on your XP installation CD (mine was in DRIVER.CAB) and copy it to the proper location (I am not sure if it is necessary but worked for me)
6. Go to Control Panel /Ad HW and follow the wizard towards manual selection of device to be added
7. Select Add System device
8. Select Have disk
9. Navigate to changed machine.inf
10. from the list select standard deviecs (in the left list) and "Plug and Play Software Enumerator" in the right list
11. Finish the installation
If it stil does not work reinstall the audio adapters' drivers. It should work now. If it does not, I can't help.
I am writing these instruction so much in details as I only found very basic instruction on the web and only after trying around different ways got the result! Hoe it works for you to!

markwiss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,994
Message 6 of 7

I have the M50 and the same problem with soundmax . DM sees it and says it is working properly but sound devices says 'no audio device'. 

I also have an external firewire sound box (M-Audio Profire 2626), which is also not recognized in Sound and audio devices. BUT is recognized in DM

... BUT my Pro tools AND my NERO wave editor see it and it plays just fine...BUT Windows Media, quicktime, Nero showtime and all internet audio do not see an audio device so they don't work

....  the 'solution' was useless and I called lenovo support who, after one hour, shuttled me to microsoft. I spent 6 hours in two calls with two 'techs' and am still in the same boat.

Any other answers out there???

markwiss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,969
Message 7 of 7

Enumerator is there. 

Per windows tech,  I installed HDaud from folder \windows\inf and got along further in the install but the SM panel only shows the general info page that allows me to checkmark for the panel to be placed on the desktop info bar and nothing else.

My external audio (M-Audio profire 2626) works for protools and nero wave editor but is not shown in "sounds and audio devices" either.

Also, the SM audio speaker /mic wizard plays sounds when I press TEST!

Is this a communication issue/bug between M50 8187 PUT &  XP SP3 OS?? 

all other drivers including older Geforce FX5200 dual moniotor cars, work just fine.

both devices are recognized and "working properly" in device manager  but neither is seen in "sound and audio devices"

last 4 days have been most frustrating as no one has come close to providing solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals