Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t61pa
Punch Card
Views: 812
Message 1 of 7

OS FREEZES when power unplugged (intermittent)T61p - DC Jack wiggles and loose

Hi, I am posting this question with the idea that this could be 1 of 2 or 3 things, the DC power jack and Windows 7, or a combination of, and would like to know how they are effected individually or in combination in fine detail, and how to fix this issue of freezing, and I can help by giving you back your needed log information on reply.

It ONLY FREEZES because of UNPLUGGING. It never freezes for any other reason but this.

The obvious is that the yellow DC power jack wiggles, and the adapter sometimes slides out because of simply moving the laptop on a bed or something. It just pops out. It does not lose connection while plugged in though. It's not that sensitive of a problem.

One day I unplugged my power supply while I was listening to music. The music froze in garbled pause motion, and the screen froze also. I have experienced this a few dozen times after the fact, and it is an intermittent problem; It doesn't take the first unplug to freeze it, it may be the 5th or 10th time, or that it's been sitting for a few hours and freezes when I unplug it then. Mostly it freezes when it's accidently unplugged. I'll be transferring it from a table to my bed, and it freezes.

Now, could this be caused by any of the following and why?

Firmware

Drivers

Windows OS 7

Updates

Conflicting power managers (2)

The DC jack

The VIDEO card

Keep in mind that it does not over heat. The battery is old and holds it's charge for less than 5 minutes, but has always been like that.

This is a link talking of the same issue in the 14" T61, but goes into no detail:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/My-T61-freezes-when-AC-unplugging/m-p/76...

Thanks Smiley LOL

SYSTEM INFO:
Thinkpad T61p 6457-A24, Intel core 2 duo (T7700) 2.4GHz, Intel 120GB SSD 6Gb/s, NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256 MB), Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium (6.1, Build 7601), BIOS Ver 1.00PARTTBLx
Display: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit 60 Hz), Integrated RAMDAC, Main driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2,
Version 8.17.12.9688, Date 5/31/2012, DDI version 10, Driver model WDDM 1.1

t61pa
Punch Card
Views: 771
Message 2 of 7

Re: OS FREEZES when power unplugged (intermittent)T61p - DC Jack wiggles and loose

I will add that a power manager of some sort was installed just a few days prior to it doing this. I uninstalled it hoping the problem would go away and it has not. 

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 727
Message 3 of 7

Re: OS FREEZES when power unplugged (intermittent)T61p - DC Jack wiggles and loose

It's normal for your system to stutter when the power is interrupted in some cases. If you have a healthy system with lots of resources it can usually switch from AC to DC power while playing audio/video with only a very minor interruption, but if your system is low on resources or has other stability problems it could initiate a crash. The power change interupts what you're doing and changes setting like Screen brightness, power timers, in some cases it can disable certain hardware devices or change them to low-power mode. If your system is running in page-file memory this could cause it to be unresponsive for a few seconds. 

I would also not ignore the likelyhood that this is related to your other problem with your GPU. I know you don't want our opinions on that, and I'm fine with that, but the part I think you missed is that you had pretty much diagnosed that problem before you even posted and seemed upset that we connected the dots for you. One of the points you seemed to be missing was that the beep codes you reported proved that it wasn't a software problem so no windows setting will make any difference. What I can tell you from having fixed or helped other members to fix over 100 of these units is that 99.99% of the time when you get those symptoms it's a bad GPU chip, but if that's not conclusive enough for a member I would suggest heating the chip to see if the symptom goes away, if it does, then you've eliminated that 0.01% doubt and you know conclusively that your gpu is fried, so this is why both George and myself told you as much...  but you're under no obligation to believe us just as we are under no obligation to help you, but if this topic is just trying to chase other possible causes for your first problem, then you're only wasting your time (in my opinion). You have the right to use your time as you see fit and to ask any questions you like, but I'd suggest if this is indeed the same laptop that you mention to anyone who attempts to help you that at least two members have already told you that the gpu chip has failed. 

You should also be aware that even if the gpu suddenly starts working normally after you fiddle with something or change something, that doesn't mean it wasn't bad. These problems are often intermitent and could suddenly work again for a day/week, or perhaps a month or more, but once the failures begin, the chip is doomed because the microscopic circuits are fractured. The internet is full of crazy ideas on how to fix this problem, everything from wrapping the laptop up in blankets to baking the board in an oven and sometimes it may create a change and may even appear to work, which is not a good thing because it only reinforces the belief in these crazy schemes, none of which produce a fully working laptop and all of which fail again. If you've ever had a lightbulb fail and you tap on the bulb and it lights back up it's not that you fixed it, you still have a broken filiment in the bulb but you managed to get the broken pieces to touch so the open circuit is now closed and it works again...  but only until you bump it again or it breaks again. The circuits in the gpu chip are similar but microscopic and when heat is applied they move as a result of the expansion of the materials in the chip. Contact will allow it to work, when the contact is broken it stops working.

Regarding your DC power jack, if it is indeed loose, then you should replace it. I can get them for about $3 and if you have trouble finding one I may even be willing to get one and send it to you, but there is no way a loose power connector will cause a gpu beep code.

You also mentioned firmware. The bios on these machines are updated from time to time to address design issues, the bios doesn't wear out or break and updating it won't fix any of your problems, in fact I only mention this because you should NEVER update the bios on an unstable laptop, doing so could completely stop your computer from booting. If it was to freeze/crash in the middle of the update there would be no way to recover short of replacing the motherboard.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
t61pa
Punch Card
Views: 710
Message 4 of 7

Let me ask you all something real here, now how does a hard drive blink once, then cease to blink when nothing but a video card is amiss? Is the machine telling its self "Hmm, I have no eyes therefore there is no reason to think". If so I wonder why. 

t61pa
Punch Card
Views: 700
Message 5 of 7

Man oh man have a look at this, a world wide BIOS virus that bricks your computer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-snowden-affair/

Is it possible that when downloading a few files (Very interesting files) off of TOR browser (1 day before the computer bricked its self), that a virus of this magnitude may have come with it? I was just browsing TheHiddenWiki and downloading FBI and CIA files. I find it interesting that most of the time over-heating has nothing to do with my computer starting, it's doing the 10 second, 30 second, and 60 second power button reset's and static discharges in weird sequences that do it for me, and that has to do with RAM and FLASH modules, not power, not even video for that matter HAHA.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 687
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

To verify it's not something in the operating system, try booting the T61p off of a Linux Live CD and see if you can reproduce the problem while running that operating system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
t61pa
Punch Card
Views: 686
Message 7 of 7

This is pretty funny, check out this guys post. He had the exact same problem, and he had a virus that wiped out his whole hard drive, but then gave him 1 LONG BEEP AND 2 SHORT BEEPS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391192/virus-somehow-disabled-video-card-perhaps-through-bi...

Even funnier, this guy posted it 3 years and 6 days before I posted this one.

Top Kudoed Authors