Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skraldespansk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,326
Message 1 of 4

Odd Boot problem. Ultrabay error 2102.

I just added a refurbished mainboard to my T60 Widescreen (Model 8743). Everything works fine except I can't boot with my DVD/CD-ROM drive in the ultrabay.

The system hangs. I try to enter the BIOS, the screen won't come up. After 3-4 minutes the system gives me the following message: initialization error 2102 (and some more). It's basically an Ultrabay problem. I can then enter the BIOS. BTW the UUID in the BIOS is zeroed. The DVD drives I try are produced in 06/07 and are the both of the Multi kind (dvdrw/cdrw).

So, the system boots fine with the DVD drive out. Once it's up and running I can insert it back in the machine, Win7 registers it and everything works fine.

I have checked extensively on-line but don't see any solutions.Any help woud appreciated. If it's a mainboard problem I need to return it. Thanks.

skraldespansk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,305
Message 2 of 4

Re: Odd Boot problem. Ultrabay error 2102.

A quick addidion: the full error message reads:
Error 2102: HDD1 (Hard Drive in ultrabay) initialization error. Obviously a DVD drive is not a Hard drive.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,292
Message 3 of 4

The UUID of zero means that whoever you bought the board from wasn't a dealer who had the tools to generate one (same one that sets model/serial) or forgot to do it. It sounds like a motherboard problem, but I would try going into the BIOS and hitting F9 to set defaults and also I would check to make sure you did not have a very early BIOS. I am curious whether the SATA setting in the BIOS (under Config) is set to AHCI or Compatibility. If the board is sick, there is some risk in flashing it, because if it is sick, the flash might fail making it difficult to return.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
skraldespansk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,244
Message 4 of 4

I returned the main board to the seller after realizing that when I can't enter the BIOS with the DVD drive inserted it is basically a hardware error. After receiving a different mainboard it solved the problem.
Top Kudoed Authors