cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guanghua
Paper Tape
Views: 2,573
Message 1 of 4

Open password protected (or password removal of) hard drive from Thinkpad T41 in a different PC

My Thinkpad T41 is dead and does not boot up (I dropped it to the floor). It only give a black screen. I need the data from the hard drive.

I know the both the passwords for the T41 and the hard drive. But I cannot start the computer. I tried to put the hard drive into a different laptop PC (from HP) but failed even I typed in the correct hard drive password. Does thinkpad encode my password to a different one into the hard drive so that I cannot open it from a different PC even I know my hard drive password? How can I remove the T41 harddrive password from a different PC to recovery my data?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,550
Message 2 of 4

Re: Open password protected (or password removal of) hard drive from Thinkpad T41 in a different PC

guanghua, welcome to the forum,

it is possible to delete the password using another ThinkPad, I have done this on several occasions. Hopefully you know someone who also has a ThinkPad who will let you borrow it. See this thread at ThinkPads.com.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

guanghua
Paper Tape
Views: 2,519
Message 3 of 4

Re: Open password protected (or password removal of) hard drive from Thinkpad T41 in a different PC

Thank you very much, Andy.

Because the link you gave me mentions about "passphrase". I have a question:

I think that I used a passpharase for the T41 system and hard drive protection since my passwords are long phrases that contain spaces. The adminstration passphrase/password is 12 letters with spaces, and the power up passphrase is 11 letters with spaces. The administration passphrase is needed only if I want to log in the BIOS, while the power up password is needed everytime I start up the computer.

Do you know that if I put my password protected hard drive in another Thinkpad and apply the same passphrase, the new Thinkpad can read/write the my hard drive? In other words, is the passphrase locked/linked to a specific machine so that it encodes the harddrive password differently in different machines, or if I use the same passphrase in different Thinkpad, I can swap the hard drives since they have the same hard drive password?

Thank you again for your help! 

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,475
Message 4 of 4

Never played with the scenario you describe. A HD password is a HD password. I would delete all passwords in the "other" ThinkPad so that none are set, insert your drive and go from there. All you have to worry about is deleteing the password on your drive, if it doesn't work with passphrase you can try it without.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals