Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibigfoot2008
What's DOS?
Views: 1,140
Message 1 of 7

Problem with T60 and USB Sticks

All -

I can't understand it but I have a huge problem with USB devices and my T60.

EVERY USB device works 100% fine - despite of USB memory/HDD/other memory devices.

Neither USB HDD or USB Sticks nor a SD drive via USB - no media is accecpted.

I always get back: "Media not formatted".

If I do format everthing works - but only with this notebook.

So I am not able to share data with other computer - or not able to get my pics from my cam... 

Please can you help?

Thank you very much in advance,

iBigfoot 

Message Edited by ibigfoot2008 on 09-05-2008 10:04 AM
Message Edited by ibigfoot2008 on 09-05-2008 10:05 AM
Message Edited by ibigfoot2008 on 09-05-2008 10:05 AM
bodmaster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,114
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problem with T60 and USB Sticks

I'm having the exact same problem.  I've posted this issue here before and was not able to get any responses.  My system is still under warranty for defects and I believe this to be a defect.

On top of this issue, my system also has a problem with recognizing media in the DVD-RW drive.  I get power to all devices but that's it.  No recognition of any storage type media except for the internal HDD.

One other grip.. my laptop completely powers off while the battery is charging.  Happened three times so far while plugged in with battery at 34%.  I've lost so much work because of this issue I'm really getting a bad taste in the mouth for IBM/Lenovo.  My company started moving away from IBM/Lenovo products as well to other alternatives like Dell/HP. 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,104
Message 3 of 7

This sounds like a Windows problem. My recommendation would be to backup your data and restore to factory condition by pressing the blue button at system startup.

Sometimes Windows gets......"Broken". Smiley Mad

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
bodmaster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,091
Message 4 of 7

doh.. was hoping not to have to do that.  It's tough to back up when this issue prevents you from using an external USB storage device or even use the DVD-RW or CDRW to burn onto media.

I'll likely have to source another computer and do a network transfer unless you guys have any other ideas.

Message Edited by bodmaster on 09-05-2008 06:25 PM
ibigfoot2008
What's DOS?
Views: 1,067
Message 5 of 7

So you say: set back to factory conditions and reinstall Windows, correct?

This will be a lot of work - wow. I have to check if there might be other ways before I do this...

But thank you so far!

Does anybody has please another idea despite of a reinstallation? 

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,044
Message 6 of 7

I hate to say it, but I agree with carbon_unit, this sounds like a Windows problem. Smiley Sad

As a long shot you could try uninstalling all USB hubs in Device Manager, re-install the Chipset Drivers and restart the sytem to allow the USB hubs automatically installed again. I doubt this will help, but it's all I could think of.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

bodmaster
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,031
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for that tip on the drivers.  I've actually already tried this and re-installed them.  Downloaded latest patches, BIOS, etc. following instructions I found on the lenovo site for troubleshooting.  Still no workie. I'm almost done backing up all my stuff though which is cool so I'm about ready to make that Blue Button work its magic.  I wonder if the special factory installation we have on these IBM laptops could be involved in this issue?  I've heard many folks opt to put their own images on these drives and get rid of most of the default factory installed stuff..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors