cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gopinath
Paper Tape
Views: 936
Message 1 of 3

Problems with Thinkpad Warranty - Not recommended to buy Thinkpads due to poor Warranty Support

I Have a thinkpad t43 2687 DUU. purchased 2 years back.  It had 3 yr warranty.  Recently i had a problem with the  laptop
and decided to reimage it since windows got corrupted.  The service partition didnt help in reinstalling the factory image.  The resue and recovery versions (3 as wellas 4) didnt work and had to order recovery CD's.    The fun starts here.   First time i called the case was created and got lost.  Nothing happened.   The second time i called the case was created and the recovery CD's were sent to Pennsylvania (zip code 15038) instead of irving tx, 75038.  No apologies from any tech support person.    Being routed to tech support, CRU support,  DHL in round robin fashion is the only thing that happened.      Finally the CD went to Lenovo itself because of bad address.   These guys do not even have basic address validation system in place before shipping something and their
tech support has very poor sense of US addresses.    

Then after 3 days i again call them up ( no choice)  and they created a new case  but miss my apt number.   I called next day to confirm,  the tech support team said the CRU team will now be able to help, the CRU team told me that the case isnt closed yet and they cannot help.  called the tech support supervisor.   he was totally useless and didnt help one bit. asked me to  call CRU again.   

My question. As a customer who paid 2K for this laptop primarily because of warranty and now I get nothing when I needed most.  The tech support team makes all stupid mistakes in addresses and the customer suffers.   They do not expedite anything even if they have made the mistake repeatedly.    and they did not offer me to repair my laptop with a local service agent also.   That is how sick it is.  If ur lenovo thinkpad fails for some reason , u will regret ever buying it because the warranty service is nearing levels of being pathetic.  
Guru
Views: 921
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problems with Thinkpad Warranty - Not recommended to buy Thinkpads due to poor Warranty Support

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear about your less-than-pleasant experience with tech support.

While I understand your aggravation (I'd be pretty upset myself if I were in your shoes), I'd tend to believe that this is still an exception, and not the rule. My T43p (2687-D5U) came back repaired after three business days last week, no complaints on this end. I've been using ThinkPads for eight years now without a single bad experience with IBM support, and I've sent dozens (if not hundreds) machines for a repair over that period of time.

There are incidents like the one you have described with every company. Once in a blue, a case slips through the cracks, it is human to err. And while I'm not demeaning what happened to you, or defending the company, you'd likely be in a worse spot with another laptop.

Hopefully the disks will arrive safely, and help you restore that T43 to its full glory, enabling you to enjoy it once again.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
gopinath
Paper Tape
Views: 877
Message 3 of 3

Re: Problems with Thinkpad Warranty - Not recommended to buy Thinkpads due to poor Warranty Support

They sent out the recovery CD's today.  It was for XP Home instead of XP professional.   I stand by my words still.  Their Tech support is totally brainless and doesnt look into the details needed.   Im not sure when they are gonna send the right CD's and if they send it whether they are gonna send to to the right address  ??  Have to wait and watch...     My advice is still same.. Dont buy Lenovo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals