Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dxun
What's DOS?
Views: 391
Message 1 of 5

Problems with my T61

I have had my laptop for a while and it just started to have black screen so I conected it to an extra monitor I have with a vga cable and it shows a multi colored grid paternity I can't do anything on it. Any suggestions? Help is appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 380
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problems with my T61

Based on the symptoms, I am going to assume you have nVIDIA graphics.  It is a very common problem, and the only solution is to replace the motherboard.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
dxun
What's DOS?
Views: 347
Message 3 of 5

Yes I do have nVIDIA. Would it be cheaper for me to just get a new laptop?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 321
Message 4 of 5

Probably, it is time.  However, it it otherwise meets your needs, the motherboard could be replaced.  At this time, I would suggest not getting another nVIDIA board.  Most will have the same problem you have.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 289
Message 5 of 5

Whether to fix or scrap your laptop is a personal choice, There are many fans of the T61 series as it was the first that was fully 64bit, supporting Penryn class cpu chips, 8gb ram, and the very last full size laptop to offer the classic 4:3 aspect ratio and one of the last to offer 16:10. Also save for the horribly designed nVidia chips it is one of the most reliable thinkpads made (in my opinion), and they did fix the nVidia problem back in August 2008, only to stop production a month or so later (with a few exceptions). I can get the boards with the updated gpu chips, but they are extremely rare and have been getting more so as the years pass, or you can convert to intel graphics and have a cooler running laptop that will run longer on battery power, and if you don't use the laptop to run apps that require nVidia graphics, like some CAD software, etc...   then you'd probably be very happy with the intel gpu, 

Also be aware is there are many scams selling nVidia boards and laptops that have failed and improperly fixed using stunts like forcefully overheating the failed gpu, or baking the motherboards in an oven which will sometimes allow them to boot and appear to work normally for a short period of time, This was a huge problem in the past and made the failure rate seem much higher than it actually was, but if you like your T61 then there is no reason you can't get it back up and running where it is likely to serve you for the next decade or so and with a few minor mods such as use of the modified "middleton" bios, ssd drive, ram upgrade and perhaps a penryn cpu, and you'll find the performance outstanding even by today's standards.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors