Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altoflyer
Paper Tape
Views: 19,765
Message 1 of 12

Product Recovery CD is not the correct disc

I'm having an issue that is similar to several others I've seen here, but differs from each of them in one way or another.

I need to do a full recovery of my Lenovo back to factory settings. I already have all of the files off of it that I need.

I booted up off of the Rescue and Recovery CD that was sent to me by my corporate IT department. It's a branded, copyrighted disc from IBM. This restored the Rescue and Reovery application. Then I followed the instructions, turned off the laptop, turned it back on, got the old request to put in the Supplemental Recovery disc or press "No" if i don't have one. I don't have one, so I pressed "No." Then it asks me to insert disc 1 of the Product Recovery CD which i did. I have 6 CDs sent to me by my corporate IT department. They are all branded, copyrighted CDs from IBM for the ThinkPad T60 family (i have a think T60) so they should work okay. But no. I get a message saying "This is not the correct disc. Please remove the disc and press OK."

So what do I do now?

Thanks,

Amy

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 19,716
Message 2 of 12

Re: Product Recovery CD is not the correct disc

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Are you given any option to restore from a backup or restore to factory settings during the process? if so, then choose the latter.

Also, when prompted to insert the Operating System Disc 1, press No, you will be prompted to insert product recovery disc 1. At this time, insert the DVD/CD labelled "1".

Keep us posted.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

altoflyer
Paper Tape
Views: 19,712
Message 3 of 12

Hi Maliha,

Thank you for the welcome. I did already select the restore to Factory settings. And I don't get a prompt for an operating system disc. I do get prompted to insert a Rescue and Recovery Supplemental disc that gives me the option to say "No" if I don't have it. I say "No" and are then prompted to "Insert Product Recovery Disc 1 into drive D." But it reads it and then says it's the wrong disc.

The disc I'm using is labeled: ThinkPad Product Recovery CD for ThinkPad T60, T60p ... (etc.) Support for these products provided by Lenovo (TM). Disc 1 of 6 January 2007. etc.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 19,701
Message 4 of 12

What happens when you select "No" while "Insert Product Recovery Disc 1 into drive D." prompt shows up? as a result of this, do you get any other window asking you to insert recovery disc 1 into the drive? 

Also, try inserting the very first disc labeled "Rescue and Recovery startup" or the disk labeled "Product Recovery Disc 2" when "Insert Product Recovery Disc 1" appears.

Further, sometimes the previous version of RnR on the HDD conflicts with the one being installed from the recovery discs, i.e. it's a good practice to format the drive before using recovery discs, you can use Gparted, KillDisk or even any Windows CD/DVD (XP or later will do) to format your drive.

Keep us posted.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

altoflyer
Paper Tape
Views: 19,699
Message 5 of 12

Hi there, .

"No" is not an option on the prompt to Insert PRoduct Recovery Disc 1 into drive D:. The options are "OK" or "Cancel." When I select "Cancel" the laptop reboots and then brings me back into the R&R system. The window asking for the supplemental disc comes up. I say "no." Then it prompts "Insert Product Recovery Disc 1 into drive D:"

Inserting Product Recovery Disc 2 of 6 gives me the same error as inserting Product Recovery 1 of 6. Inserting the Rescue and Recovery disc in at this prompt also gives me the same error, saying it's not the correct disc.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 19,695
Message 6 of 12

Does your machine type (looks like 2668 on the bottom sticker of your thinkpad) corresponds to the types (again 2668, 2678, 2007 etc.) mentioned on the recovery discs?

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

altoflyer
Paper Tape
Views: 19,681
Message 7 of 12

yes, the type is 2007 and that is one of the types listed on the CD.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 19,676
Message 8 of 12

The discs usually have a date printed on them, right side if I remember correctly. Is the date on the R&R boot disc from before or after the date on the recovery discs? If it's newer, ask your IT dept. if they have an older one.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 19,675
Message 9 of 12

I would suggest HDD format in that case, if you're hesitant in trying the software I mentioned, then you can try Secure Data Disposal from lenovo (freeware):- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TVAN-SDD&sitestyle=lenovo

Here is also a guide on using rescue and recovery:- http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70803

Keep us posted.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

SoulBrutha65
What's DOS?
Views: 18,843
Message 10 of 12

SOLUTION - Product Recovery CD is not the correct disc

Hello, Everyone;

I ran into the same problem and wasted a day and a half until I abandoned the on-screen instructions and read those inside of an envelope here in my office.  Must be that so many noticed the on-screen instructions not matching the CDs that these special instructions were published. 

Here are the steps I took to get past the "not the correct disc" problem.

1.  Boot up from the silver CD with black lettering entitled "Rescue and Recovery CD".

2.  When prompted, I next inserted the white CD with black lettering entitled "Applications and Drivers".

3.  When prompted, I then inserted the white CD with black lettering entitled "Operating System Recovery Disc"
    (Windows Vista in my case).

4.  When prompted, insert the "Applications and Drivers" CD again.

5.  When prompted for Supplemental Recovery, I chose "no" and the recovery process began.  You may as well go
    to lunch now because you won't need to press another key for like two hours.

6.  When the laptop reboots itself, ***DON'T PRESS F11***.  The following steps are fully automated. DOS Windows
    will open and begin copying files.  After some time Windows will launch and open more DOS windows and copy more files. 
    Preload Customizations will run and the laptop will reboot itself.  Preload Customizations and reboots happen
    several more times with no user interaction (but what do you care; you're at lunch).

7.  Finally icons will begin appearing on the desktop, but don't get happy; SysPrep runs and then it appears that an IMAGE is         created.  The laptop will reboot, and just as the background wallpaper apppears, Windows will restart again and you'll see     your "Set Up Windows" screen.

Michael...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors