Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poof78
What's DOS?
Views: 2,471
Message 1 of 1

Recover from Hidden Partition without Rescue and Recovery Access

Hi,

My T61p has suddenly stopped booting up properly, the ThinkVantage button doesn't work (I cannot access Rescue and Recovery) and I am traveling and do not have my backup CD with me. Is there a way I can get access to the hidden partition with Vista on it and rebuild from there? I found this website that seems to describe what I want to do:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4UFUYK
However, my Thinkpad neither came with a floppy disk drive (which computer nowadays does?) and I also don't have a folder c:/IBMTOOLS that is mentioned in there.

My details are:
- I am running Vista Ultimate (english version)
- T61p
- I only have access to a French version of Vista Business to start a recovery console (with which I backed up my files)

The symptoms are:
- Cannot access Rescue and Recovery (when I press the button I only get a screen asking me to access the BIOS, boot normally or boot from a different device)
- Several system drivers seem to be missing (e.g. intelide.sys or acpi.sys)
- My MBR may have been destroyed previously (a Vista tool recreated it)
- Both my HD and main memory passed diagnostic tests, so the problem isn't there

My questions are:
- Is there a way I can access the hidden partition and initiate a reinstall from there from the command-line (my French recovery console)
- Is there a way I can recover access to Rescue and Recovery without requiring a floppy disk?

Any help is appreciated,
Petra

Moderator Note; converted to clickable link

Message Edited by andyP on 04-23-2008 10:27 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors