Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elias275
Paper Tape
Views: 1,516
Message 1 of 3

Recovery Disk reinstall with Ubuntu partition

I have a T61 and had a problem with trying to reinstall the OS (Vista) from the recovery partition. Lenovo was nice enough to send me "Recovery CDs." However, while I was waiting for them, I needed to use my computer so I made a partition and loaded Ubuntu. The problem is that it looks like if I use the Recovery Disks, I will be forced to wipe out the partition that has Ubuntu on it. I spent a lot of time installing Ubuntu and I like some of its features and I don't want to loose it. I would like to set up a duel boot on my machine but I don't know if its possible with out installing Vista and loosing everything that I've done, then partitioning again and reinstalling Linux.

Question: Does anyone know if I can save my partition and at the same time recover Vista with the CDs on only the other partition?

Any help would be on this would be great. Thanks.

Elias

andrewfong
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,401
Message 2 of 3

Re: Recovery Disk reinstall with Ubuntu partition

Did you find a solution to this? I'm contemplating just making a backup image of Ubuntu and restoring that to a new partition.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,392
Message 3 of 3

Re: Recovery Disk reinstall with Ubuntu partition

You should backup your Ubuntu because the recovery discs will wipe all partitions form the disc and install the recovery partition. Then a reboot and restore windows from the recovery partition. Ubuntu will be gone. Then you can repartition and restore Ubuntu from your backup.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals