Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
themed
Paper Tape
Views: 2,354
Message 1 of 3

Replace CMOS battery in Lenovo 1400 452 Model 2611

I am trying to get access to the CMOS battery but it appears from the manual that I need to remove the keyboard which requires removing the nameplate. I can see that you need to lift up each end of the nameplate, but I don't understand how the middle comes up. There is an arrow showing that the nameplate lifts up in the middle but I cannot see how and which direction to lift. I have not tried too much pressure for fear of breaking the nameplate. Any help or assistance would be appreciated.
ucyimb4u
Punch Card
Location: North Carolina, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
Views: 2,185
Message 2 of 3

Re: Replace CMOS battery in Lenovo 1400 452 Model 2611

Hi,

I don't go into this forum much since I use a newer machine now, but the old i Series still works so I poke around with it every now and then.

I went through the steps to remove the nameplate (referred to as the "middle cover and launch key assembly" in the Hardware Maintenance Manual I downloaded from the Lenovo site).  After lifting off the clear plastic cover over the launch keys (using the pry hole in the front center) and lifting off the key label template, I lifted up the left and right ends of the next key label panel to expose two screws.  After removing these, there are two screws on the back of the machine (above the display and USB ports) that need to be removed.  Then you need to have the LCD open before you pop this cover you just unscrewed as it needs to lift up and in toward the keyboard.  The next step is to pry the end of this cover nearest the power button up with a small screwdriver and the whole panel that these 4 screws held down will come up.  Don't lift too far as there is a connector under this panel.  Flipping this panel upside down from back to front over the keyboard exposes this connector. 

Hope this helps (and doesn't come too late to prevent breaking the nameplate).

Message Edited by ucyimb4u on 04-20-2009 02:16 PM
Russ
Thinkpad Z60m
XP (SP2)
themed
Paper Tape
Views: 2,174
Message 3 of 3

Re: Replace CMOS battery in Lenovo 1400 452 Model 2611

Thanks so much for your reply. Could you confirm that the manual you referenced is S10L-9952-02 . Also what are the "Launch Keys".  Is what you describe some kind of label over the nameplate? I hate to put you to a lot of trouble but my knowledge of the 1400 laptop is zero.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals