Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vguinnane
Serial Port
Views: 2,157
Message 1 of 8

Rescue & Recovery Backups

Hi All,

I have one backup that is 11 GB, but the rest are about 2 GB.  It is the first backup, so I am wondering whether I can delete it as I am already at 5 backups, and I am trying to reduce space used on the harddrive.

How do you tell if a backup is incremental or a full backup?

Once you have started backups, can you move them to another drive, such as the recommended USB harddrive?

Thanks,

Vince

Vince
T60p, Model 8743CTO, CPU T7200 Core II Duo, RAM 2 GB, Mobility ATI
mailxiaodan
802.11n
Views: 2,094
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rescue & Recovery Backups

I'm also highly interested in the answer to this question~
rheath
Token Ring
Views: 2,074
Message 3 of 8

The first backup is the base and all the others are incrimintal to the base. You can change how it backs uop in rescue and recovery .You can also move the backups to an external drive through the same program. If you want to restore to a back up it can also be done through windows and rescue and recovery. Hope yhat answers your questions.
mailxiaodan
802.11n
Views: 2,055
Message 4 of 8

RR seems to remember where the backups are. How do we move the created RRBAckups/ folder? Will that lead to confusion?

Thanks.
vguinnane
Serial Port
Views: 2,017
Message 5 of 8

I did move them to a backup USB hard drive and deleted the ones on my main drive.  I found it up in the pull-down menus in the Advanced version, which I didn't realize were there before.  It seemed to work fine.  Thanks for that.

It sounds as if I should keep the first backup, then delete the oldest incremental backups as I run out of space.  Does that sound right to you?

Thanks,

Vince

Vince
T60p, Model 8743CTO, CPU T7200 Core II Duo, RAM 2 GB, Mobility ATI
mailxiaodan
802.11n
Views: 1,943
Message 6 of 8

This is still yet to be verified.

On my Vista, I shrinked the C partition and created a new D partition. A RR backup of C/Q/S partitions done (excluding D partition). If I select "recovery all files on hard drive" with a backup that only covers C/Q/S partitions, will my D partition be kept intact?

I don't like the ambiguous descriptions used in RR that assumes all users use the software in the same way, on a setting that was done in the factory ...

Thanks!
mailxiaodan
802.11n
Views: 1,726
Message 7 of 8

Tried myself and verified here:

On my Vista, I shrinked the C partition and created a new D partition. A RR backup of C/Q/S partitions done (excluding D partition). If I select "recovery all files on hard drive" with a backup that only covers C/Q/S partitions, my D partition IS kept intact.
cryan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,531
Message 8 of 8

I have a R&R related question.  I own a T43p, and for some reason one day it started giving me an error message saying the backup could not be complete because it cannot find the file (rrcmd.exe).  I've searched for the file and have tried to direct it to the location and it won't stick.  So now I cannot backup anything.  Does anyone know 1) what is wrong, 2) how to fix this?  Also, would there be any benefit to just taking a full backup (with i.e. Norton 360) and imaging my HD and then reformmating?  There are also other issues now with my lovely laptop, but do not fall within this discussion.

Thank you for any insight!

Courtney

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors