Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrianhall
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 1 of 2

Rescue & Recovery - Restore files to a different machine

First, please forgive (and by all means gently correct) any protocol errors - I am a new poster to this forum.

I am trying to restore files to a T60 which were backed up using R&R on a T420S. (Yes, my brand new T420S has turned into a brick - it won't power up and I am shortly going to return it to Lenovo for repair). Full backup was made to a partition on a USB hard drive prior to the failure.

When  fire up R&R (v4.21) on the T60 (after plugging in the USB drive, obviously) and use the "Advanced" screen  R&R

cannot see any backup (even though Windows Explorer can see the partition and the RRbackups file).

Is there a way to force R&R on my T60 to see the backup so that I can select files to restore?

It may be relevant that I use R&R normally on my T60 to backup and it CAN see the backup made on THAT (different) USB hard drive.

Many thanks if you can help

DAF
802.11n
Views: 280
Message 2 of 2

Re: Rescue & Recovery - Restore files to a different machine

IF you made the usb drive a "recovery disk" then all you have to do is boot the T60 with the usb drive (press F12 on the Thinkpad start screen and select the usb drive). The usb drive will then run the R&R software. Once in the restore screen, select restore from backup. You will then have an opportunity to save the data files you want on the C: drive or any other drive you want. After saving the files just back out of R&R and restart normally.

Good luck!

PS. Backups made with different versions of R&R are not compatible, that's why the R&R in the T60 does not recognize what's on the usb drive.

E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors