Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-20-2009

USA

7 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 6

Rescue and Recovery makes unscheduled backups several times a day.

2009-01-20, 16:22 PM
I've had my T61, running Vista, for about 6 months.  A few weeks ago, I noticed that my 105GB hard drive was filling up at a surprisingly rapid rate.  I have several applications installed, but most definitely not enough to fill that amount of space.  I did some online research, and then, with the help of WinDirStat, cleaned out some junk, ran Disk Clean for good measure, limited my shadow copy space with vssadmin, and tossed some old shadow copies.  I then looked (for the first time) at Rescue and Recovery.  I noticed that all backups except the first were made in recent days.  That was odd, since Rescue and Recovery was set to make a backup only once a month, not several times a day.  I deleted all but the first backup copy, and gained an immense amount of disk space back.  A day later,  I checked Rescue and Recovery again, and noticed that a bunch of extra backups had been made, about three a day.  My husband mentioned that the Downadup/Kido worm resets restore points, so I downloaded the Windows patch.  Unfortunately, I find that Rescue and Recovery is still making daily backups.  Last time I checked, I had six, although the limit is set to five.  I'm not sure what's going on here.  I'm a little skeptical that I've picked up a virus.  My Norton is up-to-date, Windows automatic updates should have picked up that virus patch on its own long ago, I don't open unfamiliar windows, and I use memory sticks very rarely.  Yet this behavior is very odd, and will create a permanent memory problem for me.  Anyone have a clue as to the source of this problem?
Answer
Options

6 Posts

01-20-2009

USA

7 Signins

24 Page Views

Re: Rescue and Recovery makes unscheduled backups several times a day.

2009-01-25, 1:24 AM
I bit the bullet and called Tech Support.  Many of my experiences with any business' support line are horrible wastes of time, but in this case, I had a great experience.  The tech suggested I uninstall R&R, and reinstall with a copy from the Lenovo website.  Duh.  Bekirk, I don't know the location of the version for your OS, but I bet you can find it with the search bar.  I'm not getting daily R&R backups anymore.  I made one backup when I reinstalled, and have not heard a peep out of R&R for the past couple of days.  Whew.

Replies(5)
Options

3 Posts

01-20-2009

Pittsburgh, PA

7 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 2 of 6

2009-01-20, 19:24 PM
I've been having the same issue, but can offer no help.  I'll let you know if I figure it out.
Options

6 Posts

01-20-2009

USA

7 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2009-01-21, 15:33 PM
Thanks, bekirk.  I will also post if I find a solution.  I did discover that if I select Active Updates under Rescue and Recovery's Help menu item, I can download a newer version of the R&R interface.  Before a backup is made, the new interface has a popup that asks the user if he/she wants to run a "scheduled" backup.  'Course, I still get this popup when I boot up in the morning, so I still can't tell if the source of this problem is a virus, but at least I have the option of rejecting a daily backup.
Message Edited by snow on 01-21-2009 07:42 AM
Answer
Options

6 Posts

01-20-2009

USA

7 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2009-01-25, 1:24 AM
I bit the bullet and called Tech Support.  Many of my experiences with any business' support line are horrible wastes of time, but in this case, I had a great experience.  The tech suggested I uninstall R&R, and reinstall with a copy from the Lenovo website.  Duh.  Bekirk, I don't know the location of the version for your OS, but I bet you can find it with the search bar.  I'm not getting daily R&R backups anymore.  I made one backup when I reinstalled, and have not heard a peep out of R&R for the past couple of days.  Whew.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

01-20-2009

Pittsburgh, PA

7 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 5 of 6

2009-01-26, 21:38 PM
Thanks.  May I ask where did you locate the copy of R&R on the website?  I didn't find it on quick search of ThinkVantage downloads?
Options

6 Posts

01-20-2009

USA

7 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2009-01-28, 3:10 AM

Try this link: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=0&familyind=165729&brandind=17&doccategoryind=0&modelind=0&doctypeind=9&validate=true&partnumberind=0&sitestyle=lenovo&template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&operatingsystemind=49986&machineind=0

It goes to Support & Downloads > Downloads & Drivers.  It has downloads for Vista, XP and 2000.  Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms