Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skater
Punch Card
Views: 765
Message 1 of 10

SATA Caddy for T60 ???

Easy question for you guys. I want to replace the original HD in my T60 with a larger SATA HD. Can I use the old HD carrier, or do I have to get one that's specifically designed for a SATA HD?

Thanks very much in advance for the info.

SeniorGuru
Views: 761
Message 2 of 10

Re: SATA Caddy for T60 ???

The same carrier will work just fine.

Punch Card
Views: 752
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the quick reply, hausman

Skater
Punch Card
Views: 748
Message 4 of 10

Uhh, while I have your attention, maybe you could answer a related question for me. I have Acronis True Image on my HD. If I put the SATA drive in my computer, and I attach the old drive to the computer with a USB cable, can I boot from the old drive, clone it on to the SATA, and then use the SATA ?

SeniorGuru
Views: 733
Message 5 of 10

> I have Acronis True Image on my HD.

> If I put the SATA drive in my computer, and I attach the old drive to the computer with a USB cable,

> can I boot from the old drive, clone it on to the SATA, and then use the SATA ?

Yes. That's the recommended technique. Put the new drive in the T60. Boot from the old one via USB. Clone the old drive to the new one. Reboot from the new drive.

Punch Card
Views: 730
Message 6 of 10

Beautiful :-) Thanks again, Dorian.
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 630
Message 7 of 10

please note that the factory drive caddy will only work if you have a 2.5" SSD, if it's a 1.8" drive you'll need an adapter which lenoo makes as well as aftermarket products. Also I've used a optical boot disc when I clone drives, with the target drive installed in the primary drive bay. I'm sure it will work as you suggested if the software is smart enough, but I prefer not to clone an OS while it's in use. Also make sure your cloning software knows how to convert your disc image to SSD because the partitions are aligned differently. If there isnt' a specfic option to clone from hdd to ssd, then inquire before you begin and also make sure your os is optimized for SSD afterwards, no defrag enabled, no prefetch, caching, etc.

ps. my purpose was to add to the good advice you already received, not to disagree with it.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Skater
Punch Card
Views: 622
Message 8 of 10

@TuuS wrote:

I'm sure it will work as you suggested if the software is smart enough, but I prefer not to clone an OS while it's in use. Also make sure your cloning software knows how to convert your disc image to SSD because the partitions are aligned differently. If there isnt' a specfic option to clone from hdd to ssd, then inquire before you begin and also make sure your os is optimized for SSD afterwards, no defrag enabled, no prefetch, caching, etc.

ps. my purpose was to add to the good advice you already received, not to disagree with it.

Thanks very much for adding this info, TuuS, as I haven't cloned my drive yet. In fact after I posted my question, I bought an Apricorn Notebook Drive Upgrade Kit with a USB to SATA cable, and "EZ gig Cloning." software. According to Apricorn's description of this software, it will do everything needed to clone a drive to a SATA drive. But now I'm not sure that it will do everything that you said should be done. Do you happen to know if the process is going to be as simple and reliable as Apricorn suggests? 

SeniorGuru
Views: 620
Message 9 of 10

@TuuS wrote:

Also make sure your cloning software knows how to convert your disc image to SSD because the partitions are aligned differently. If there isnt' a specfic option to clone from hdd to ssd, then inquire before you begin and also make sure your os is optimized for SSD afterwards, no defrag enabled, no prefetch, caching, etc.

Great advice for older editions of software. However my understanding is that Windows 7 and subsequent versions have specific support for SSDs and should automatically optimize for them. Current versions of Acronis should also be SSD-aware.

Bit Torrent
Views: 605
Message 10 of 10

@hausman wrote:

@TuuS wrote:

Also make sure your cloning software knows how to convert your disc image to SSD because the partitions are aligned differently. If there isnt' a specfic option to clone from hdd to ssd, then inquire before you begin and also make sure your os is optimized for SSD afterwards, no defrag enabled, no prefetch, caching, etc.

Great advice for older editions of software. However my understanding is that Windows 7 and subsequent versions have specific support for SSDs and should automatically optimize for them. Current versions of Acronis should also be SSD-aware.

Windows vista and above will properly setup an SSD if installed on one, but many cloning programs simply copy the harddrive partition byte for byte to the new one. The ones I use are on boot discs and are OS independent, so you need one that understands that you are adapting the data on a HDD onto an SSD. I prefer to do a fresh install to be certain, but I do know some cloning software can do HDD to SSD, but I like to use techiques I have experience with and only change if there is a signficant advantage to change. That's my preferrence.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors