Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mashant
Blue Screen Again
Views: 419
Message 1 of 4

SD reader corrupts SDHC cards?

Have had problems with two 8gig SDHC cards in a row when attempting to access the card via the built-in reader on the laptop.Both times this is what happened:

For a few minutes I can access the card and view the photos, but after some time the pictures turn grey and attempts to access the card again lead to a message that card needs to be formatted. I would hate to lose the data on these cards. It has already happened twice which leads me to think that there is something wrong with the built-in reader, since the cards have worked fine on other computers. Has anybody had this problem? What can I do to rescue the data? I bought an external reader for the cards now to be on the safe side, but I would hate for this to happen again. Thanks.

Retired Guru
Views: 386
Message 2 of 4

Re: SD reader corrupts SDHC cards?

This could be happen. Happen to me with an external card reader a long time ago.

Test your SD card into another card reader to discard any SD problem. If it works good, the problem can be the card reader.

To make a recovery, you can use software like GetDattaBack or Ontrack Easy Recovery.

If your laptop still under warranty, call customer service. Maybe they will replace your card reader.

Best regards.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Retired Guru
Views: 372
Message 3 of 4

And post the model of your laptop.
Some older card readers may not handle SDHC.
mashant
Blue Screen Again
Views: 324
Message 4 of 4

I bought an external drive and the problem disappeared. I think it may have been some random Vista update that was screwing things up. Now the task is to rescue the photos.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors