cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahboy0207
What's DOS?
Views: 2,350
Message 1 of 3

Screen Resolution Problem (Max. Resolution of only 1024x768)

Hello,

I just upgraded my T61 laptop from Windows XP to Windows 7, Everything was fine at first. But one day when I turned on my laptop, I found out that the screen resolution was wrong. It was only 1024x768 (not wide screen). As a result, the screen was on the left, leaving a thick black bar on the right. The given resolutions which I could choose are only 800x600 and 1024x768, no wide screen options. Tried nvidia control panel, it was still the same. Tried to connect to an external monitor (16:9 wide screen), the resolution was, however, perfect (fit the external monitor).

I already have the newest display driver (nvidia Quadro NVS 140m - downloaded from Lenovo). I even reinstalled the driver and installed the monitor driver provided by Lenovo, but the problem still exists.

By the way, after I encountered this problem, when I turn on the laptop, there is no more screen showing the ThinkVantage and the Intel logo. There is also no screen for "Starting Windows". It will straight away enter windows logon screen. It means, I have no way to enter BIOS or the recovery tools by pressing the ThinkVantage button at startup. (I cannot see anything!)

Anyone can please help me?

Thanks!

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,330
Message 2 of 3

Re: Screen Resolution Problem (Max. Resolution of only 1024x768)

ahboy0207, welcome to the forum,

you need to install the monitot inf file from here. Scroll down the page for installation instructions.

As you have installed another OS on your system you will have changed the Master Boot Record, (MBR), which contains the information allowing the ThinkVantage button to work at boot. If you left the recovery partition intact, i.e. didn't format it, it may be possible to repair the MBR in order that you can access it. However, the recovery partition will have the original XP image on it and not your W7.

You can enter BIOS by pressing F1 at boot.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

ahboy0207
What's DOS?
Views: 2,323
Message 3 of 3

Re: Screen Resolution Problem (Max. Resolution of only 1024x768)

Thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you for the suggestion.

However, the inf file didn't solve the problem (It seems like there is no difference after installing it).

On the other hand, I remember that I did format the whole disc, so there should be no more recovery partition...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals