Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gehageh
Punch Card
Views: 1,296
Message 1 of 3

Security chip error

Hi,

today I changed the M/B of my A31p with one bought from ebay. My old computer had the security chip, so I put it on the new M/B. When switching the laptop on I received "four cycles of 4 short beeps and a blanc screen" as described in IBM's manual (p. 54). In the same point it says that it is due to "System board (IBM security chip)".I removed the chip but again I have the same message and the laptop does not boot. Is there any solution to this?

George from Greece

Guru
Views: 1,277
Message 2 of 3

Re: Security chip error

No.

Security chip is "married" to the motherboard it originally shipped with. Trying to swap them between different planars will usually yield the result that you've encountered.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
gehageh
Punch Card
Views: 1,270
Message 3 of 3

Re: Security chip error

George,

it means that  any motherboard sold without the original security chip is useless and the seller must know that. This M/N is the type 26P8430 and according to IBM HMM comes with the chip. I bought it although in the ebay auction the picture showed that the chip was missing, but I did not know where to search for it. This was my first disassembly of an A31p, although I have made many upgrades of desktops...We always are learning. I have asked from the seller for a free replacement but I am not sure for the result.

cheers

George

Top Kudoed Authors