Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blurry73
What's DOS?
Views: 1,240
Message 1 of 7

Sometimes my Lenovo T61 doesn't boot up by pressing power button once

one day as usually, I pressed power button in order to turn on my laptop T61,

but it didn't boot up. strange thing is that when it happens, I feel some warm on its keyboard, anyway I pressed power

button longly this time and pressed it once again shortly , then finally it booted up.

it began to happen a few weeks ago, first I just ignored at that time.

but now it makes me really worried because it happens more often as time passed.

I have been used my laptop about 3 years now, please somebody helps me.

Highlighted
Retired Guru
Views: 1,236
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sometimes my Lenovo T61 doesn't boot up by pressing power button once

are you powering it off ( if powering off  are you closing the lid before it shuts down) or putting it to sleep/hibernate?

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,234
Message 3 of 7

I had a unit with a similar problem, it was just a worn out power button (keyboard). Three years of heavy use could wear one out, but I'd also consider that it's time to clean and reseat your heatsink, if you've never done it, especially if you have nvidia graphics, it could save you from a dead system board. ps. keyboards aren't expensive and are available many places that sell used computer parts, but if you have difficulty finding one, send me a PM, I have several, although mine are USA keyboards, not sure what kind you would want.
ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
blurry73
What's DOS?
Views: 1,230
Message 4 of 7

I don't think it is because of the keyboard

as I said, when it happens, I feel some warm on the keyboard. I don't know why but it is really strange to me.

it is running Windows XP OS

and after I do some web surfing and play computer games, I always turn it off normally like start -> shut down

I suspect that maybe my laptop got some kind of computer virus. I am not sure.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,225
Message 5 of 7

I feel some warm on its keyboard, anyway I pressed power

button longly this time and pressed it once again shortly , then finally it booted up.

this sounds like its still running,the long hold of power botton shut it down then short press of it turn it back on so the keyboard would be warm . thats why I ask is it all the way off before you close the lid

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
blurry73
What's DOS?
Views: 1,222
Message 6 of 7

I guess so, maybe  it isn't turned off actually, because the keyboard was still warm at that time as you said.

but I don't usually close the lid, since my laptop is on the my desk all the time at home,

and I don't move it here and there.

for about one years, I have been using a laptop cooler which gets power from the laptop, connected by usb connection.

I thought it was good for playing 3d games so I bought one.

well but it has nothing to do with this problem, I think

Thanks

TuuS
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,213
Message 7 of 7

Those laptop cooler pads will only help with a poorly designed laptop that requires air intake from under them. Setting the laptop on a smooth surface will do much of the same thing, but the T61 has an efficient cooling system, if it's kept clean and the thermal paste is fresh, you shouldn't have overheating problems. If your keyboard is warm after it's been off for a while, that would indicate that your not shut down, perhaps in standby mode (sleep). What you can try is unplug the power and remove the battery for a few seconds, then replace. If it starts instantly when you press power, then the keyboard is fine and you have a problem with it not fully shutting down.
ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals