Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbhockey13
Punch Card
Views: 31,538
Message 1 of 6

SoundMax drivers just disappear in XP after last ThinkVantage System Update

Hi All!

I have a ThinkPad T61 that I LOVE so much more than my old Dell D620. I'm actually switching our company over to ThinkPads from Dell.

I have set it up dual boot, running Windows XP SP 2 and Vista Business x64. Both have been running great, and I have installed all the ThinkVantage tools. I even got the SATA to run in AHCI mode, which was the trickiest thing so far...until...

I ran System Update on Sunday in Windows XP. Since then, my sound has disappeared. I got all kinds of errors from SoundMax, saying the device wasn't found. When I try to reinstall SoundMax, I get the dreaded "The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware". I have uninstalled and reinstalled the "Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver (Q888111)" driver and rebooted each time over and over again. I've removed and let Windows re-find the Bluetooth Audio drivers. I have no exclaimation points for any drivers, and no listing for any SoundMax drivers. I cannot get XP to recognize the audio on the machine any longer. There is no listing in the BIOS for audio.

The real kicker is that the audio works perfectly fine in Vista, so I know it's not a hardware issue.

I've tried suggestions from the following articles, to no avail:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive/index.php/t-136471.html

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=283

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=136351&page=5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

Does anyone out there, or does Lenovo, have any suggestions? This is VERY frustrating because I know it's not a hardware issue!

Thanks!
ThinkPad T61 - ThinkPad T410 - ThinkPad T420 - ThinkPad T430s - ThinkPad T440s - ThinkPad T460s
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 31,522
Message 2 of 6

Re: SoundMax drivers just disappear in XP after last ThinkVantage System Update

Hello,

According to this page on ThinkWiki, the Lenovo ThinkPad T61 uses the Analog Devices AD1984 HD Audio Codec controller, which implements a "SoundMAX Digital Audio System" when combined with the appropriate drivers and software.  According to this FAQ, Microsoft Windows XP is supported.

A search of Lenovo's web site found this page containing audio device drivers for ThinkPad T61s running Microsoft Windows XP and 2000. 

Perhaps installing them will restor your ThinkPad T61's sound.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues
mbhockey13
Punch Card
Views: 31,513
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply.

I actually had installed the drivers. The problem was the soundcard drivers weren't even listed in Device Manager - no exclaimation points - nothing.

I was actually able to solve the problem, but it was a real pain. See the following:

There was no listing under Add/Remove Programs for the Microsoft UAA KB888111 update to remove it. This was because I had installed it, uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it again.

So, according to the above link I posted, I had to delete the following key from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111

Then I rebooted. After rebooting, I reinstalled the KB888111 patch from the Lenovo site, then rebooted again.

After that reboot, it found the sound card and wanted to install the drivers, which I did from c:\DRIVERS\WIN\Audio. Once again, I rebooted.

After that reboot, I installed the SoundMax software and rebooted again, and when I logged back into Windows, I heard the familiar Windows startup theme.

I guess a word to the wise is to be very careful what you are installing when using the ThinkVantage System Update. I might not be so quick to update something that is already working fine.

ThinkPad T61 - ThinkPad T410 - ThinkPad T420 - ThinkPad T430s - ThinkPad T440s - ThinkPad T460s
martinizod
Paper Tape
Views: 26,416
Message 4 of 6

Your method worked for me too after a few times of trying the whole process through (I think I had the wrong hotfix at first and then I had to reboot a number of times before Windows located the sound card.  Very glad it worked and to have sound back - thank you!
magalsn
What's DOS?
Views: 19,068
Message 5 of 6

Hi guys.

I try your method but it don't work for me. but i for me i was abble to find a verry good and easy solution.

1- download this , install it and restart

2- go to Start menu ......ThinkVantage....System Update and follow next( it will tak few moment  to complete). U will need also to agree at each licence agreement to continue

3- Restart again and it ll be ok

it work for me . I hope that it ll help more than one.

kanchule
What's DOS?
Views: 17,661
Message 6 of 6

hey magalsn,

I tried your method after struggling for over a week trying to figure out what was wrong with my audio system. I had downgraded my operating system from vista to XP and all of the sudden my audio system could not work at all. Thankfully, after trying your method it worked on my very first attempt. I feel excited and back in the 21st century with sound on my T61!

thanks once more magalsn,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors