Did you mean: 
previsun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 44,600
Message 1 of 10

Steps to replace Hard drive in T61

Hi,

I need help !!!

I have been using T61 (Windows Vista Ultimate 2GB Ram without Ultra Bay) for the last 1 year. My original hard drive had 80 GB and I decided to upgrade with a Hitachi Travelstar 250GB hard drive. This was a bare drive. I bought the Norton Ghost 14. I loaded the hard drive in a 2.5" enclosure. Norton Ghost says the new drive should be setup as slave before proceeding to copy/image the old hard drive to the new hard drive. I am not sure how to set this up. Can somebody pls let me know how to do this. Is there any other way to upgrade with the stuff I already have.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Previsun

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 44,598
Message 2 of 10

Re: Steps to replace Hard drive in T61

previsun wrote:

I bought the Norton Ghost 14.

Ugh... bad move, but anyway...

Norton Ghost says the new drive should be setup as slave before proceeding to copy/image the old hard drive to the new hard drive. I am not sure how to set this up.

Your T61 uses a SATA drive interface.  "Slave" setting are applicable to PATA drives but quite meaningless for SATA drives.  If possible, just ignore the message and see if Ghost will proceed with the cloning process.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
previsun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 44,508
Message 3 of 10

Nope. I could not get Ghost to proceed with the cloning.

What are the steps I need to do to get the hard drive upgrade ?(a different cloning software or different method to get the upgrade done.

Thanks for your reply.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 44,504
Message 4 of 10

Well, I've been using successive releases of Acronis True Image for a range of disk cloning, exchange and backup purposes for quite a while now and it has worked well for me across a range of ThinkPads, including ThinkPad T61 models.

Cheers,

Bill 

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Mo-T
Punch Card
Views: 44,486
Message 5 of 10

There's another thread (Replace hard disk in T61 - T Series ThinkPads - lenovo community) that might help.

I just replaced my 120GB 5400rpm with new 320GB 7200rpm SATA. Used 15 days full free trial from Acronis True Image Home 2009. Works like a charm. The things, is you should put your new HD inside T61 and your original HD as external. Make bootable CD using Acronis before that.

Image the the 120GB took me less than 2hours rather than srini28's method (in that thread) that may take days to get the T61 in it original state.

I think Bill is right, T61 uses SATA  Drive, if you have PATA, I think u may want to go back and get SATA HDD

Message Edited by Mo-T on 11-19-2008 03:28 PM
previsun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 44,132
Message 6 of 10

I managed to copy using a free ware utility copywipe to image my old HD to new HD. I disconnected my old HD and started with new HD and I got the message
 "Windows failed to Start. A recend Hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is
missing or corrupt."

The problem is Lenovo is saying that I cannot have original windows installation disc and I should use the recovery CDs.The recovery CDs are not giving the option to Repair the computer. Looks like they will set the system to the OEM status.

Anybody faced this issue ? Any solutions or workarounds

Mo-T
Punch Card
Views: 44,104
Message 7 of 10

I think you did it the other way around. The steps that should be:

1. Install drive image/ghost software.

2. Create boot disk CD using that software with imaging utility on it

3. then...Take out your old HDD, put in new HDD, make old HDD as external Drive.

4. Boot using just created boot disk CD

5. Image your old external HDD on to your new internal HDD using the utility on the boot disk CD

If your software cannot create boot disk with imaging utility on it...

I suggest, try Acronis.. Free full trial ware.

Nothing personal on the preference... simply good software and free... for the purpose at least.

I googled copywipe.

I think you are mistaken the term "image" and "copy".

In our case "image" is also called "ghost". wiki on it ... for more info.

"Image" transfer or "ghost".. is different from "copy". Image/Ghost includes all system state..copy is ..copy

You should have used "image for windows"... not "copywipe" from the same developer's site

I hope i explained it right...

Better explanation or correction from others are very much welcomed.

Good luck!

Message Edited by Mo-T on 12-11-2008 09:42 PM
ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Views: 44,103
Message 8 of 10

Edit:  Well, Mo-T beat me to it.   Smiley Happy

Did you follow Mo-T's instructions to put the target drive in the T61 and the source drive in the USB enclosure?  It looks like you might have reversed the procedure.

Don

Message Edited by ConnectDon on 12-11-2008 08:39 AM
konker
Token Ring
Views: 44,088
Message 9 of 10

None of you mentioned that there is an in-built "Create Recovery Media" function included with every ThinkPad.

Isn't that sufficient to restore the OS & 3rd party softwares to the reconfigured ThinkPad into the factory condition?

Unless the recovery media specifically checks for HDD type or serial number, the Recovery Media should work just fine.

Also, it is possible to create an OEM OS installation disc from the i386 folder (Windows XP Pro) of the production system which can be used for repair purposes. I used this method to repair my T60 after a  bad driver messed up my system.

bobfataustin
What's DOS?
Views: 43,719
Message 10 of 10

I tried to use Norton Ghost 14.0 and choose multiple options in Ghost to copy my 50 GB HDD to the new Seagate 250 GB HDD on my Lenovo T61 along with putting the new drive in the laptop and using the USB to SATA connection cable for the original drive but this didn't work either.  The copy seemed to work but I couldn't get it to properly boot the laptop.

So, I went to the Seagate website and downloaded their free software DiscWizard and left the original drive in the laptop and used the USB to SATA cable to connect to the new drive and this worked the first time.

I did choose the Manual step to set the size of my main partition (I didn't want DiscWizard to proportionally add so much space to the hidden partition Lenovo has on the hard file), but other than that, I didn't do anything special with this software.

Someone had mentioned that they thought the laptop BIOS wouldn't allow this 250 GB size of hardfile to be used in the laptop, but that wasn't an issue.

Top Kudoed Authors