Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcDW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,880
Message 1 of 5

Stuck in ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery on a T61

I have a 3-4 month old T61 6465-CTO that was running XP Professional.  It is currently stuck in ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery.  I was attempting to restore my T61 when it got in stuck in this state.  I got the Rescue and Recovery CD Version 4.00.1114, Product Recovery CD (P/N 43T8187), and the Supplemental Product Recovery CD (P/N 43T8617) from the IBM, Morrisvilee NC.  The recommended procedure is to:

1.  Set the BIOS so the T61 boots from the CD/DVD drive. 

2.  Start the T61 with the Rescue and Recovery CD in the drive. 

3.  Following the direction in Rescue and Recovery = loading the six Product Recovery CDs.

4.  Turn off the T61, and upon restart enter the BIOS and set the BOOT to the Setup Default (F9).

Having done this I find myself back the the ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery.  I have tried several times and can not get Window XP started.

One problem I am having is that the direction I got with the CD from IBM, tell me to "click Restore factory contents", but I do not see this option available to me in the ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery menus.  The closest option that I have is "Restore your system" under Rescue and Restore menu.  In the subsequent menu I have "Restore only the Windows operating system and application from a backup.  But, now this option does not have the CD/DVD list as an option.  The system seems to be in some intemediate state.

To top things off I am now getting corrupt file messages, like "The file or directory \MiniNT\setupapi.log is corrupt and unreadable.  Please run the Chkdsk utility.  I not sure how to do this, given that I can not get Window running at this stage.  The BIOS HDD diagnostic program give the drive 100% OK.

I call customer service today and they assured me that the CD I had were the correct one, dispite having no specific mention of a 6465 on the labels.  They are sending me a new set of CDs.

Has any one encounter a similar set of problems?

Sincerely yours,

Marc

Skar
Paper Tape
Views: 8,859
Message 2 of 5

Re: Stuck in ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery on a T61

Hi Marc,

try to make an "Low Level Format" before trying to reinstall the operation system via the recovery cds you got.

After that you can find the point "factory settings" under the option "restore maschine" (something like that)

I had exactly the same problem, try to use a programm from the manufacturer of you harddrive, If you can not find this information try the "PC Doktor for Dos" from lenovo.

Kind regards

Nick

MarcDW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,835
Message 3 of 5

Dear Nick,

In the BIOS the T61 has ATA HDD0: HITACHI HTS722016K9SA00-(S1)

I looked around and found:
1. Hitachi has a number of tools at http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm The Drive Fitness Test includes a low level format option.

2. PC PC Doctor for DOS - ThinkPad R61, R61e, R61i, T61, T61p, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet at http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67910a It comes as 4 "disk" files and assumes you have access to a floppy drive.

3. Low Level Format from HDDGuru http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

Which Low Level Format did you use to solve this problem?
Did you download the Low Level Format to another computer and the put it on a DVD or USP stick?
Do you think it is worth while downloading the current version of ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery version 4.2.1511?

Thank you,
Marc

Skar
Paper Tape
Views: 8,829
Message 4 of 5

In this case I think the best one would be the Drive Fitness Test from hitachi.

The best would be to download the ISO file from another maschine.

Are you still able to start the machine into the operating system?

In my case I wasen`t so I had nothing to loose and I tried it - and it worked.

Remember, I can not guarantee that it will work!

But I think it is the best step if you are sure that the recovery Cds are fine.

Kind regards

Skar 

MarcDW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,783
Message 5 of 5

Based on Nick’s recommendation I used the Hitachi Data Fitness Test 4.13 to erase all of the file on the hard drive.  The details of the installation are below:

1.    Download the Hitachi Data Fitness Test 4.13 from http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm (file dft32_v413_b00.iso) to another computer and created a bootable DVD using cdburn d: dft32_v413_b00.iso from the directory I downloaded it to.

2.    I started the T61 and put the Hitachi Data Fitness Test DVD in the DVD drive and turned off the T61 and restarted the T61.  Note, the boot priority in the BIOS was set to ATAPI CD0:MATSHIAVDV-RAM.

3.    I ran both the Hitachi Data Fitness Test Quick Test and the Advanced Test.  The drive past both.  The I ran the Erase Disk.  These took several hours to complete. 

4.    After theErase Disk was complete, I rejected the Hitachi Data Fitness Test DVD and loaded the Rescue and Recovery CD from Lenovo () and restarted the system.

5.    ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery loaded and I selected “Restore” and then “Restore my hard drive to the orginal factory state”  [Next]  then “I do not want to save any files.”  [Next], [Next], and following the loading of the Rescue and Recovery Supplement CD, and six Product Recovery CD for ThinkPad T61, R61 Type 6480, 7659, 7658, 7660, 7661, 6378, 6379, 6481, 7663, 7662, 7664, 7665, 6337, 1959) and finally Rescue and Recovery Supplement CD again.

Note there was a several minute wait after inserting the Rescue and Recovery Supplement CD for the second time and a system restart, for the Product Recovery to begin processing files.

6.    During the Window creation, I cancelled the use Login for the Administrator’s password.

I back up and running!

Thanks,

Marc 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals