Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
syrenab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,809
Message 1 of 4

T 40 - switching between external and internal monitors

I just bought a ThinkPad minidock and an external LCD monitor,
When I press Fn+F7 to access Presentation Director, the screen flashes but does not allow me to select anything.

I have unstalled latest version 7jua07ww.exe Presentation director, but nothing has changed.

Now both screens are on, but external screen will not display videos when played from Nero Showtime,

OK directly from CNN or BBC. Internal screen plays OK regardless of source. But cannot turn off internal screen.

Any suggestions?

Syrenab

T40 2376-4U1 512MB RAM (2 x 256MB)
40GB 5400rpm HDD; 14.1 XGA(1024x768) TFT LCD;32MB ATI Radeon 7500
16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD (slim);56K Modem (CDC);1GB Ethernet (LOM);Intel 802.11b Wireless (MPCI);Secure Chip (TCPA)

WinXP Pro

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,780
Message 2 of 4

Re: T 40 - switching between external and internal monitors

can't you just use the windows display property to do the switching?? also old ATI cards don't like to show videos in two screens, it would only show video in the main screen. 
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,769
Message 3 of 4

Syrenab, welcome to the forum,

You can only display films on one of the screens; you need to edit your profile in PD. On the "display" page you can select internal or external as primary for film projection, sorry, you can't have both.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

syrenab
Paper Tape
Views: 1,738
Message 4 of 4

The help screens are not helpful!

I finally managed to find the correct way to switch between the T40 monitor and and the external monitor. se the following:

>>THINKPAD - EXTERNAL MONITOR -  T40 with ATI Radeon Adapter - Win XP

After attaching an external monitor to a ThinkPad Laptop, both monitors will be operating. You may control the monitors as follows:

1.    Click in turn:  Start - Settings - Control Panel - Display

2.     On the  Display Properties  screen select the Settings tab to show a screen with two numbered squares (representing the two monitors) on it. Click on Identofy, to make sure that a large numeral 1 (indicating primary display) shows on BOTH monitors, external and laptop, if not go through steps 3 and 4.
Otherwise proceed directly to Step 5

3.  Click in Monitor 2, make sure that "Ëxtend my Windows desktop....." is NOT checked,
    Click on Monitor 1, to reveal the ATI controls screen. Click on Help to access the ATI help menu, if needed.

4. Click on Displays tab, to reveal screen     with Monitor, Panel and TV on it,
    On both Monitor and Panel, Click on blue icon with concentric cirles, to make them both primary,
    Click  OK, then  make sure that BOTH monitors, external and laptop, have large numeral 1 showing.

5. Click on Monitor 1, to reveal the ATI controls screen.
    Click on Displays tab, to reveal screen with Monitor, Panel and TV on it.
    To turn Laptop (Panel) screen OFF, click on green Switch Icon on left of "Panel" tab.
    Switch should turn RED, Monitor switch will turn GREY
    Click OK, then Apply. Both screens should momentarily go black,
    then external Monitor will come on,
    Laptop screen stays dark,

6.     To turn Laptop screen back on ON, repeat step 5, but this time press Red switch, so that both switches turn GREEN.<<

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors