Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alkaline16
Paper Tape
Views: 1,203
Message 1 of 4

T30 BIOS upgrade

Hello:

I'm trying to revive an older T30 for my niece. I did as much as I could in safe mode. But it reboots after about a minute in regular mode (XP) after a blue screen (0x0000007E). I'm pretty sure its the BIOS. Its listed as 2.03 and should be 2.10.

I tried downloading the diskette BIOS update to try it from a USB stick (no external floppy).    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-42358   When I click on the download button, it just spins back to all of the updates - nothing downloads. I tried it the non-diskette update in safe mode. No go. It gives me "CreateFile() returns 2". I assume that's because its in safe mode. I try to install the BIOS update in regular mode before the blue screen happens. It goes through the four installation screens and then just goes back to first of four, nothing happens, then the reboot occurs because of the blue screen.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows where I can find the diskette update for the BIOS, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,183
Message 2 of 4

Re: T30 BIOS upgrade

Hello and welcome,

There doesn't seem to be a download link for that version of the BIOS.

If you click on "learn more" you'll get a page with links for previous versions up to 2.09.

Don't know if that helps...

Z.

[edit] See Andy's warning about flashing BIOS on an unstable system.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,181
Message 3 of 4

Good day and welcome to the community.

If you revisit the link you listed and return to the BIOS section and diskette-version item, click on the "Learn more" link. On the resulting page, scroll down near the bottom and you'll see a grid with previous BIOS versions. While v2.10 is not linked (not sure why), v2.09 is. If you modify the v2.09 link with ".txt" at the end, you can read the documentation to see if anything looks applicable to your situation.

All the usual caveats apply regarding doing BIOS updates, so please proceed with caution.

Cheers.

Edit: Z Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,161
Message 4 of 4

Hi Alkaline16, welcome to the forums,

to be honest there is no way in this world that I would attempt to update an unstable system's BIOS without first finding out where the problem lies; the error code suggests defective or incompatible hardware which could well cause a failure during the update resulting in bricking the system.

A known problem with T30 systems was the soldering on one of the memory slots, the one toward the middle of the system if I remember correctly.  If you have any memory in that slot it would be worth removing it to see if you experience the same problem afterwards and just in case I've got the "faulty" slot wrong try swapping memory around in the slots as a process of elimination to confirm / rule out the slots being the cause.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals