Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlakci
Paper Tape
Views: 1,313
Message 1 of 6

T30 boot/motherboard

I tried several topics but none gives a clear solution or procedure AtoZ for checking the components

I have 2x T30 (one old I used for the last 5 years and a 10€ for parts). For eays reference

-------------------------

T30 X2366 unit "A" - factory 1,8GHz/40GB/512MB/WiFi/DVD

before the problem the unit worked good (RAM slot problem fixed in 2009, upgraded to 1024+512 RAM, 120GB HDD, Ultrabay SATA, used on LPT and COM port...).

Last half year wouldn't boot, only Z light and battery simbol on LCD. If BIOS and main battery (both OK) removed,  later sometimes (!) it would boot after a few on/off with wall power, otherwise no beep or CPU fan. Now is 99% dead. I tried:

- HDD, RAM, WiFi, Ultrabay, phone... all interfaces removed

- both batteries removed

- hard reset (both power plug discharged static, wall plug unpluged)

- VGA cable to desk LCD

- working keyboard unit, turn ON

- re-seated CPU, new heat paste, checked all plugs and air compresor cleaned

= sometimes it only shows Z and battery symbol, LCD bulb lights in background, no beep, no CPU fan. If unpowered for longer time and later wall power, I can ge the missing RAM 1-3 beeps plus CPU fan working, but if after again powered up or RAMs inserted same problem as before. The RAM slot were once more resoldered with a fine tip 8W soldering iron and proper cleaning fluid. No dust or dirt on board. RAMs used 512MB IBM and both working.

----------------------------

T30 X2366 unit "B" - factory 2GHz/60GB/512MB/WiFi/BT/DVD

got it for parts as it had all bluetooth parts. HDD is OK with WIN XP SP3, with wall plug it charges battery. tried:

- HDD, RAM, WiFi, Ultrabay, phone... all interfaces removed

- both batteries removed

- hard reset (both power plug discharged static, wall plug unpluged)

- VGA cable to desk LCD

- working keyboard unit, turn ON

- re-seated CPU, new heat paste, checked all plugs and air compresor cleaned

= only shows Z and battery symbol, no LCD bulb in background, no CPU fan, no beeps. The RAM slot were resoldered with a fine tip 8W soldering iron and proper cleaning fluid. No dust or dirt on board. RAMs used 2x 512MB IBM and both working.

-------------------------

I also tried swaping CPU as I had them opened, without effect. Now or the motherboard are both scrap or CPU both are bad??

I have a third X2366 (2.0GHz/2GB/120Gb), but it is in mint condition with only indoar use - I will not go swaping parts to test CPU or motherboard, as I could get all 3x dead.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,261
Message 2 of 6

Re: T30 boot/motherboard

Several years ago, I worked on a lot of T30 machines.  I bought nearly 300 in various states of repair, after a big company did a company-wide upgrade.  I can say I NEVER saw a bad CPU.  As you can guess, the most common problem was the slot problem you describe.  Most off the time, they would get the 1-3-3-1 beep pattern, but not every time.  I would repair them with solder paste and a rework station, which may be a better-lasting repair than your soldering iron, but they did, sometimes, fail again.  The disk simply puts a little strain on that area, causing the failure.  When I wasn't sure it was the slot problem, I would try to press down on the DIMM while I was trying to start the machine.  Sometimes, the machine would start, confirming the suspected bad solder joints. The T30 is 15 years old, so it is possible some other electronic part has failed.  I still have a post analyzer card that plugged into the slot for the optional wireless card.  It showad codes as the POST progressed so that you might be able to see what part was failing, but I haven't used it for at least 10 years.  If the failure was in something like the power transistors, where it wouldn't even start, it wouldn't help.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
vlakci
Paper Tape
Views: 1,252
Message 3 of 6

...I can say I NEVER saw a bad CPU...

Thank, good to know.

In my case with the "A" thinkpad T30, it must be an other problem. As it is now even if always faulty RAM socket + w/RAM, this will give same result as good socket + w/o RAM. Bios doesn't know the difference if no RAM or RAM with bad bracket. Annoying that the 1-3-3-1 beep I get only about 1 in 20  when I power up the T30 from wall plug and all other removed. The RAM in all cases is not inserted, so the socket is not the one causing different start ups (fan + beeps + Z and BATT lights; or only Z and BATT lights)

...I would repair them with solder paste and a rework station, which may be a better-lasting repair than your soldering iron..

Solder is solder, the fault is mechanical stress and not corrosion of solder. A good fluks cleaning paste and a fine point 8-15W solder iron , will re-solder the connection between the pad and pin on small footprints. It worked in 2010 for the duration of +5 years, there is no difference it wouldn't work now in 2018 for 1day.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,239
Message 4 of 6

I agree that solder is solder and that corrosion isn't the problem.  I said "may be a better-lasting repair".  The solder paste-rework station relies more on the equipment and less on the skill of the fixer.  There are lots of points to hit with the iron and sometimes they are not all done right.  If one connection is weak, it will fail quickly.  If you know what you are doing and are careful, an iron will do as well as any method.  It may really be better as an iron doesn't heat any adjacent chips.  However, the stress on the joints remains; no fix helps that.  When I was doing them, I had big piles of machines and I already had the rework station so I was concerned with speed.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ran23
802.11n
Views: 1,160
Message 5 of 6

When I had 4 T30's on the floor, rebuilding, I put a 2.0 CPu in a 1.6 or 1.8 and it only lasted a few weeks.  so there are basically two  T-30 mobos.   My T30, 2.2, 2 GB MB, 130 HD is still be updated every few days.  

vlakci
Paper Tape
Views: 1,154
Message 6 of 6

When placing 2.0-2.4 it comes with an updated fan and also different bottom cover, fan grill. Otherwise the MB looks the same - I have a factory 1.8 which now dead, and a 2.0 which is as new (both RAM slots still OK).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors