Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
handvprice
Not applicable
Views: 2,934
Message 1 of 6

T41 hangs, probably the graphics chip solder problem

As others have noted, my T41 (out of warranty) has begun to randomly freeze, sometimes during BIOS, sometimes in Win XP, with some visible display "wiggles". Matches the descriptions on the web of the bad BGA solder connections, and have tried other troubleshooting techniques. Has Lenovo anything to suggest, before I buy some new laptop(s) from somewhere?

Edit: I had viewed the youtube videos and checked sites about how to reflow previously, but just wondered if Lenovo had any suggestions...

Message Edited by handvprice on 01-26-2009 08:16 AM
lead_org
Not applicable
Views: 2,925
Message 2 of 6

Re: T41 hangs, probably the graphics chip solder problem

You can try to fix the motherboard or replace the motherboard, if indeed the GPU is causing the problem, then a solder reflow of the board can be a worthwhile try. Solder reflow instruction can be viewed in Youtube, and you can take apart the laptop following the following hardware manual.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46464

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
MMikeB
Not applicable
Views: 2,818
Message 3 of 6

I have a t41 that appears to have the problem of a loose graphic card. I want to replace the motherboard rather than trying to reflow the chip. I underestand that this is a common problem with the T40,41,42 boards. I have a t43 that does not seem to have this problem. Does anyone know of the t40 thur t42 motherboard replacement FRU so that if I find a replacement motherboard, I can be certain that it will not have this graphic card problem. Thanks
ajkula66
Not applicable
Views: 2,807
Message 4 of 6

The only way to be certain that the GPU issue won't appear is to replace the board with one with Intel graphics from R51, more about that here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65505

Although T43s are far less prone to develop this problem, they are not completely safe. One of my units has succumbed to the loose GPU syndrome this morning.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
roke2468
Not applicable
Views: 2,783
Message 5 of 6

I've been wondering about this. I have the same problem which I keep in check by padding between the chip and keyboard. And I'm too lazy to do the whole reflow thing.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about overclocking the chip so that it overheats? Perhaps using a thermocouple to monitor the temperature, use the overclocking software to bring to the right temperature, and then cool down slowly?

Thoughts appreciated!

MMikeB
Not applicable
Views: 2,698
Message 6 of 6

Found a professional shop that does reflow of BGA chips. Talked with them on the phone, very professional. The cost to reflow, xray, test, disassemble and reassemble you ibm t4x is $75 plus shipping to their shop. All warranty, money back, pay when completed. They do no use hotguns, they have special equipment. Go to...www.superiorreball.com     Give them a call 847.426.3012  and talk to Dale. I am sending my T41 to them tomorrow.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors