Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-07-2009

Los Angeles

7 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 1 of 4

T42 2nd Drive in Caddy Type and Capacity?

2009-08-08, 20:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide feedback on my questions.  My goal is to add a second drive to my T42 via a caddy in the CD/DVD bay.  This drive will not be a boot drive and will not have any system information, only data.

It appears that IBM offers a PATA caddy and I have found SATA caddys online as well.  Has anyone used the SATA caddy, does it work?  What would be the maximum sized Sata or Pata drive that I could put in this system?

Eventually this drive will be put in to a newer faster computer so I am not concerned if the drive can outperform the T42 specs. 

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T42 2nd Drive in Caddy Type and Capacity?

2009-08-08, 20:46 PM

eric8993, welcomr to the forum,

as far as speed is concerned you will be stuck the the PATA speed equal to your main drive / board, (assuming drive has 7200 RPM).

The SATA adapter you refer to, (Option number 40Y8725 - FRU 26R9246), works fine in my T43 after breaking of the triangular piece of plastic designed to prevent it from fitting in the bay.

However, the T43 has an SATA controller with a PATA bridge where as the T42 is pure PATA, (the T43 has PATA drives). I believe the hdd bay adapter has this bridge built into it, not 100% sure. If you are game I would try it, IMHO it sould work but cannot be 100% sure.

Wait and see if other members can offer advice and please let us know if you take this route. 

edit; typo

Message Edited by andyP on 08-08-2009 10:51 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

243 Posts

02-02-2009

USA

68 Signins

2538 Page Views

• Views: 2538
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-08-11, 9:44 AM

THANK GOD, SOMEONE ELSE WHO AGREES YOU CAN SNAP THE GROMMET OFF THE SATA ULTRABAY ADAPTER !

Too often I've encountered bureacrats and forum disciples who swear it can't be done or insist it will ruin your health and heap bad karma onto for doing so !

We've been snapping that adapter guard for years and never with an issue using WD 500GB Blue and the 320GB Black in T40's -- T43's/ andsuccessfully w/o issues booted, hot swapped, mounted as data drive from cold start , used  Addonics CF / SATA adapters inside that FRU. F-12 to choose alternative boot device than F-11 to launch Acronis tools works perfectly.

The compatiblity tab has been on the right side front edge opposite of hte data plug and basic pair of pliers snapped downwards towards the chrome bottom has been enough to cleanly break it off w/o residue or remnants preventing insertion.

Also, OCZ Vertex SSD's and Intel X-25m and the atmosphere burning E models work just fine in that adapter and in every T4 we've ever seen AND THE APS / AIRBAG WORKS FLAWLESSLY AND DISCERNIBLY POWERS DOWN SPINDLE DRIVES.

It is very handy on those occassions we have to troubleshoot a SATA drive if for any reason we only have access to IDE thinkpads at the particular moment,7,200 RPMd drives deliver near close if not native performance and SSD's run so fast your CPU and fan actually overheat despite SSD's lower voltage.

SSD's will actually decrease your battery power due to human desire, end users who realize unprecedented performance have a tendency to disable all power saving, low voltage / fan for battery life profiles to experience the best performance possible and the CPU will become challenged by a near equally fast hard drive constantly executing Disk I/O.

The 100% CPU utilization isn't dragging the system, it's just working hard and finishing things faster and is a phenonmen seen in the RAMDISK community like toGigbtye PCI 4GB DRAM drives, their CPU's peg 100% constantly but like Lance Armstrong cyclist running strong at peak performance.

Those things boot like light bulbs

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------
Options

3 Posts

08-07-2009

Los Angeles

7 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-09-09, 21:13 PM

Andy,

Thanks for the advice.  I was able to pick up a caddy on Ebay that did not require breaking any tabs.  I am able to run a Seagate 500 GB Momentus drive.  I did have to get a jumper to keep the drive locked in to 1.5 mb/s vs. 3 mb/s.  This is great because I can move this drive between the T42 and other laptops and will use the speed of this drive when I move it to another computer.

Thanks,

Eric

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms