cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,704
Message 1 of 4

T42 Thinkvantage System Update downloads updates but does not install any of them. Please Help.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. In fact, this is the first forum ever for me. Anyway, I would be very gratefull if anyone out there can help me. I have been having endless problems with Lenovo's Thinkvantage System Update during the last few weeks. I wont go into the whole lot as most are now resolved and besides, I dont think there would be enough space here to go thru it all. Anyway, the latest is I uninstalled System Update and due to a problem with the System Update file downloadable from Lenovo's website I instead installed System Update 2005. After running System Update it updated itself to version 3.14 without any problems. However, now when I run System Update it picks up 7 updates available for my T42 thinkpad. Downloading them is no problem at all but for some reason it wont install any of them. it just says "7 packages did not install". And I know that they are compatible for my laptop coz they wouldn't be picked up otherwise. Besides, I have read the small print and they are definitely good for my thinkpad. I just dont see why they wont install. Has anyone else out there had this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks in advance people.

Mitz.

oxymoron
Paper Tape
Views: 2,670
Message 2 of 4

Re: T42 Thinkvantage System Update downloads updates but does not install any of them. Please Help.

I had a similar problem, I found disabling my antivirus and then running system update got around the problem.

Obviously once you have all your updates you can re-enable your antivirus.

An alternative is to see which updates sytem updates says you need and download and install them manually.

I have since upgraded my antivirus to Norton Internet Security 2009 and have no issues with system update.

Highlighted
mitz
Paper Tape
Views: 2,653
Message 3 of 4

Re: T42 Thinkvantage System Update downloads updates but does not install any of them. Please Help.

Hi.

I used to have Norton Internet Security on my laptop but whilst running that program I got infected with a real nasty virus which forced me to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows. I now use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and have had no problems in that regard. I shut it down and ran System Update as you suggested but it made no difference. It still picks up the same 7 updates, downloads all of them, says it is installing them and then at the end it says "7 packages failed to install".

I thought it might be a problem with the System Update program file. Like maybe a missing file or something. The reason I installed the 2005 version of System Update and then let it update itself to the 3.14 version is because when I downloaded the 3.14 file direct from Lenovo's website and tried to install it it came up with an error message saying one of the files that should have been in the folder was missing. I did a search of my computer and located the file somewhere else. Why it was placed there instead I don't know but when I copied it and pasted it into the System Update program file and then ran the program it started just fine. But with the same problem of downloading the update packages without installing them. It's strange tho coz I made a list of all the files in the folder downloaded from Lenovo and compared it to the program file from the self updated version from 2005 and they are identical in every way accept the file I copied and pasted. That file is not in the self updated program file. And System Update starts fine without it whereas when I downloaded the 3.14 file from Lenovo, System Update wouldn't start without me adding it. Anyway, that is why I thought maybe my program file for system update was perhaps missing an internal file or something. I have used System Update for over a year with no problems at all. It all went wrong when I got that virus and had to reinstall windows. Since then System Update has just been one headache after another!!!

Anyways, thanks for trying to help.

privard
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,520
Message 4 of 4

I had the same problem, using a Lenovo T60 with Vista 32 SP2 and Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

I solved it by:

going into Kaspersky-->SETTINGS-->Exclusions TRUSTED ZONE-->Trusted Applications-->Add...-->Browse...-->Browse....

then pointing to :

C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\

and then selecting the first executable file (*.exe) in the list and then pressing OPEN.

Then I checked only the "Do not scan opened files", leaving the other choices unchecked, and I clicked OK, so that the file would now become a "Trusted Application".

I verified that the file's pathway got copied well onto the window "Trusted Applications", and then I repeated the same procedure for every executable file in C:\Program Files\Lenovo\System Update\, until all of the System Update executables were included in the Trusted Applications.

I then relaunched the ThinkVantage System Update, and it worked thereafter.

I hope this works for you as well,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals