Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gyrfalcon
Punch Card
Views: 11,695
Message 1 of 18

T42 Wireless/Intel 1000MT Compatibility Problem

While reloading two T42 laptops from scratch but I've run into a problem with the Intel 1000MT network drivers messing up access to wireless.  With the Intel 1000/MT drivers installed the wireless adapter will not connect or recieve a DHCP address from a WPA2 (AES) AP.  Once the Intel driver is removed the wireless connection works fine.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 with all critical updates and applicable patches.

Currently I'm using the Atheros 7.4.2.134 Driver downloaded by System Update, but was using the Atheros 5.3.0.85 driver available from Lenovos website.  I've also tried other drivers but they had the same problem.

On the Intel side of things I've tried the Lenovo downloadable driver, the Intel Network Connection Software 14.0, and the Microsoft Update 1000/MT driver.

The wireless will establish a connection to a WPA access point on boot, but if I try to disconnect and reconnect it will fail to re-establish the connection if you disconnect and try to re-establish it.  I'm guessing this is because some piece of the Intel driver hasn't loaded fully on bootup and hasn't been able to futz things up...

Please don't reply to this post if your not experincing this issue, or don't know what you're talking about.  I'm on the third reload of Windows XP and not exactly looking for stupid responses.

Message Edited by gyrfalcon on 03-30-2009 08:15 AM
Message Edited by gyrfalcon on 03-30-2009 08:15 AM
Message Edited by gyrfalcon on 03-30-2009 08:25 AM
gyrfalcon
Punch Card
Views: 11,664
Message 2 of 18

Re: T42 Wireless/Intel 1000MT Compatibility Problem

It looks like the Intel 1000MT driver is causing the problem... 

Fresh install of Windows XP Pro:

Service Pack 3

Lenovo ACPI Power Management Driver (1.52 - 7zku53ww)

Lenovo Thinkpad Wireless LAN (11a/b/g)  (4.1.2.156 - 77wc39ww)

Lenovo Intel PRO/1000 LAN Adapter Software (Build 135400 - 7ira09ww)

Intel Chipset Software 6.3.0.1007

After installation of the Intel PRO/1000MT driver the Local Area Connection is Enabled.  After a few moments the interface goes to a Disabled mode until an active Ethernet connection is hooked up.

While the Intel PRO/1000MT interfaced is disabled ipconfig displays:

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occured: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unknown media status code.

While the Intel PRO/1000MT is disabled the Thinkpad Wireless LAN (11a/b/g) can not establish a wireless connection and retrieve a DHCP address.  If a Ethernet cable is hooked to the Intel PRO/1000MT and the interface is enabled, or the driver is removed... the Wireless card works perfectly.

Is anyone in this forum an IBM/Lenovo employee that can comment on this, or the driver problems I'm encountering?

I've found someone talking about a similar issue with SP2: 

http://www.techwarelabs.com/community/showpost.php?p=61317&postcount=47

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 11,655
Message 3 of 18

gyrfalcon wrote:

Is anyone in this forum an IBM/Lenovo employee that can comment on this, or the driver problems I'm encountering?

While there are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

As for the other members, the following wasn't much incentive to share their knowledge with you:

Please don't reply to this post if your not experincing this issue, or don't know what you're talking about.  I'm on the third reload of Windows XP and not exactly looking for stupid responses.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

gyrfalcon
Punch Card
Views: 11,651
Message 4 of 18

JaneL wrote:
As for the other members, the following wasn't much incentive to share their knowledge with you.

I'm sorry if I was harsh.  A number of forums on the Internet have inept novices giving completely inaccurate or off topic advice...  Anyone with a Thinkpad T42 and and Windows XP Pro disk should be able to recreate the exact issue I'm having.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 11,645
Message 5 of 18

gyrfalcon wrote:

I'm sorry if I was harsh.  A number of forums on the Internet have inept novices giving completely inaccurate or off topic advice...  Anyone with a Thinkpad T42 and and Windows XP Pro disk should be able to recreate the exact issue I'm having.

Thanks for understanding!  We're certainly not without our share of novices here, but we appreciate everyone who takes time out of their day to try to assist someone else.  Perhaps George, Luis or one of the others that haunt this board will be on a little later and will have an idea about how to solve the problem.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

anemes
What's DOS?
Views: 11,483
Message 6 of 18

Hi gryfalcon,

I have been experiencing similar issues with my T42 for about 2 years now when I boot in WinXP. I've had no real success with any combination of drivers, and have not had the energy to try all combinations, instead, I use a slightly dodgy work around.

Disabling and re-enabling the Intel Pro/1000 under device manager (doesn't work if I do it under Network Connections), solves the issue if there is no network cable.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer IBM

System Model 23736YM

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~599 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date IBM 1RETDPWW (3.21 ), 2/06/2006

SMBIOS Version 2.33

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 115.40 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 1.22 GB

gyrfalcon
Punch Card
Views: 11,462
Message 7 of 18

I solved this problem... The newer Intel drivers are broken, or possibly incompatible with the Atheros (IBM a/b/g Mini-PCI) wireless chipset.  Unfortunately Lenovo is distributing the newer driver.

The solution is to use an Intel driver 7.2.17.101 or lower.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-54046.html

orfjmc
Punch Card
Views: 9,714
Message 8 of 18

gyrfalcon--

I have a client that is having some similar problems with his T42.  I have tried everything to get some kind of encryption working on his wireless network.  I recently wiped and reloaded this system and after installing Windows, i was able to connect to my network using WPA2, but once we got it to his home, it wouldn't connect. Looking back now, I think I ran the XP SP3 update from his house which might have broken something.  I was finally able to get him working with an old DLink wireless router using WEP, but I would like to be able to use a newer router with WPA2.   I also found that I could connect using WPA2 if I had a cable connected to the NIC but as soon as I unplugged it, I was unable to reconnect.  Which model T42 do you have?  Also, can you clarify something for me regarding the network drivers: Does the T42 come with different wireless/wired NIC's?  I know I have seen downloads for the Atheros drivers and then a d/l for the Intel drivers on the t42 drivers section, so I went with the Intel drivers since that was what was shown in Device Manager.  I would like to try the drivers you mentioned below, but just want to confirm that I am using the correct ones.  

Thanks for any light you can shed here.

Highlighted
gyrfalcon
Punch Card
Views: 9,700
Message 9 of 18

orfjmc wrote:...Which model T42 do you have?  Also, can you clarify something for me regarding the network drivers: Does the T42 come with different wireless/wired NIC's?  ...

I had more than one T42, but one of the model numbers was 2373-M1U with a 11a/b/g Wireless LAN MiniPCI Adapter II that uses an Atheros chipset.  The key to getting this card to work with encryption is to install the older Intel driver I listed above for the Intel PRO/1000MT.

I don't know why the Intel NIC driver messes up the Wirless one, but it sure does!  (Edit:  The T42 did come with other wirelss NIC's but the 11a/b/g Wireless LAN MiniPCI Adapter II was the most popular.  The Intel PRO/1000MT integrated on to all T42's that I know of)

pmolson
What's DOS?
Views: 8,057
Message 10 of 18

Hello,

Few years back someone wrote a nice response to a known IBM T41/42 Network adapter card conflict....

I just got a T42 and guess what... I'm having the same problem!

The responses mentioned using a workaround by installing ver 7.2.17.101 (10/26/2004), BUT the problem is I CANNOT FIND THAT DRIVER ANYWHERE!!!

I've tried very known search engine and NONE of them has a link to download that driver!!!

If you have it or know where In can find it please help....right now what I have is version 8.10.3.0 (8/20/2008)

Thanks a million!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals