Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

visit the blog Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog
Fanfold Paper
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

T42 Won't Boot

My T42 won't boot.  The system is in new condition, almost no hours on it.  I bought it on Ebay a couple of years ago.  I used the system on and off for a couple of months, then one day it would not come out of standby; it shut down on its own.  After that I could not boot the system at all, I tried everything.  After sitting for a couple of months it fired up and ran for hours just fine until I shut her down; then I could not boot again.  Called Lenovo they said its the system board and I need to replace it.  Any other ideas or helpful thoughts.  I don't feel its worth replacing the mobo for $400 or more.  Maybe someone can get me a mobo for cheap, TYPE 2378-REU.  Please help, thanks.
Kudos: 759
Solutions: 802

Re: T42 Won't Boot

Welcome to the forum!

That is one sweet T42 that you have there, and is well-worth saving IMHO...not for $400 though...

My assumtion would be that the system has developed a loose GPU problem described here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33952

One of the possible fixes is described here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57021

If you need a source for a tested and guaranteed motherboard feel free to drop me a PM for a recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.